1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Vanguard Engine

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by haligan, Jan 18, 2006.

1. haligan

haligan LawnSite Member

I need to replace my 18 hp vanguard engine Model 351776-1046 on my great dane surfer. The problem is I don't know which replacement model to order. There is one model that has a shaft that is 3.19 and one that is 3-5/32. Can anyone help me with this without me having to pull the old engine off before I receive the new one. Also, I was considering putting a 16hp on instead of a 18hp. Someone told me that they were the same engines just labeled with different hp. Can anyone inform me of my options here?
  2. Redneckn

Redneckn LawnSite Senior Member

Replacement is: 351772-1045. Or shortblock #: 496241.
  3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

This is what was listed on the Dealers site for a replacement engine using your old model number. You will need to install some external items off your old engine onto the new one.

Model Type Crankshaft
    351776 1046 808429
    IPL | Owners Manual List

Part Number Notes

Model Type Change Type # To RPM Trim
    351772 1045 3600 All
    IPL | Owners Manual List

Original engine was equipped for or with a 12 volt or 120 volt Gear Drive Starter and/or with alternator only. Transfer all related parts as required.
    The original engine was equipped with Debris Gard. Transfer these parts to replacement engine.
    Transfer the Muffler and/or Spark Arrester Assembly from the original engine if suitable for additional service, or add new parts as required. In some cases it maybe necessary to transfer the Oil Filter Adapter to the replacement engine.

Guess Redneck beat me to it......

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Man you guys rock on help.:cool2:
  5. haligan

haligan LawnSite Member

The engine model # you guys give me is a 20 hp vanguard. I have an 18 hp. Also, I have a recoil start.
  6. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Go with the 20 then, they are probably the same as far as mounting goes, if the crank diameters are the same and length is the same, then you are set. Usually, 2hp differences are accomplished by adding a little more bore to the cylinder, therefore all other parts are the same and you get the extra 2hp :cool2:
  7. Restrorob

I'm affraid what you have is a 20 hp with a 18 hp decal on it, The numbers listed above are Briggs Replacement engine numbers from the Dealers Site as I said.
    Check this out; http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/product.asp?PN=351772
  8. Restrorob

You can click below and see the numbers for yourself if you like. It takes a second to down-load.

Original engine was equipped for or with electric start.

Attached Files:

9. haligan

haligan LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the help.
  10. haligan

haligan LawnSite Member

Restorob or anyone who knows,
    I made a mistake on the model #. It is 350776-1046 not 351776. Can you give me the replacement for that model. thanks