1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Vanguard Engines Good or Bad

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by puppypaws, May 4, 2007.

1. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

The Vanguard engine in my understanding is made by Toyota Diahatsu and distributed by Briggs. What has been your experiences with this engine?
  2. Steveslawncare

Steveslawncare LawnSite Member

Ive got the Briggs Vanguard LC 35hp on an 06 Scag Turf Tiger. Compared to the 27hp Kohler air cooled, it drinks more gas but also outmows it. I rarely run it at full throttle because full is overkill for most situations. (I have yet to bog it down) Just to give you an idea, I can engage the blades at absolute idle and it will not die. The Daihatsu is a Diesel engine and that sounds like it could be made by toyota, but the Vanguard is all American :usflag:
  3. twj721

twj721 LawnSite Senior Member

how many hours do you have on the 35 Briggs? Have any problems yet and what size deck did you get . I am thinking about trading . I have a 29 DFI and love it but would really like more horses Thanks Twj
  4. cemeteryman

cemeteryman LawnSite Member

I have only just begun breaking in my 31 hp Vanguard and I have been very impressed with the raw power that it has. I have two Exmarks one with a 27hp Kohler and one with the 31hp Vanguard, the Vanguard with only four more horses blows the kohler out of the water for mowing power.
  5. Steveslawncare

Steveslawncare LawnSite Member

I have the 61" deck. Its got 176 hours on it. The hours add up slower than they do with the 27 because you get done faster. The engine feels rock solid. NO problems at all with it. Only note I have is that they recommend synthetic oil in the BS engine manual. They say it decreases oil burn off. No big deal there.

I demo-ed my dealers 07 29DFI and could definately notice the difference in power. It struggled keeping 12mph going up my street without blades engaged. Mowing thick grass it will keep 12 going up most hills. How is the fuel consumption on your DFI? I may have to get one for some of the guys.:rolleyes:
  6. puppypaws

The statement above was made because of information received over the phone from a district rep for Badboy mowers, this is incorrect. I talked directly with Briggs & Stratton, they said the parts for their entire Vanguard engine is made by them in the US and sent to Japan to be assembled by Daihatsu because of cheaper labor to lower the cost.
  7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

You know I'm a big fan of them.

Have been for years.
    They are my first choice if that option is available.
  8. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

That doesnt really add up. They make the parts here, ship them there, assemble them, and then ship them back? Shipping aint cheap.

How is it that Kawasaki engines are assembled in this country then? LOL.
  9. twj721

twj721 LawnSite Senior Member

my fuel consumption with the DFI is just under 1 gal a hr about the same as my Scag Saber Tooth with the 3 cyl 31 HP Dahatsu gas but the Dahatsu to me has more pep than the KAW when you engage blades it does not even slow down as where the KAW droops and then comes back up . I guess that I have some TIM ALLEN GENES in my body some where as I love big horsepower I always have said more than enough is better than wishing you had more (Horsepower that is :laugh:)
  10. puppypaws

I don't understand these big businesses but that is exactly what I was told by the Briggs main operation. They must pay the people $.50 an hour to put them together and the quality control is probably better, American's try to do things to fast. I guess you could pay a lot of shipping for the difference of $19.50 an hour per person.

You call Briggs and see if they give you the same answer, then let us know.