1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Vanguard Question?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jstew33, Apr 13, 2006.

1. jstew33

jstew33 LawnSite Member

Sorry I posted this in a similar section of the forum. I am guessing I wasn't posting in the appropriate place. I was curious about all these different flavors of Briggs motors. I am most curious in the Vanguards and how to tell if it's good or not. I have read alot about the bigger HP Vanguards and pretty much mixed reviews. I haven't read anything about the 23 HP Vanguard. I was curious if anyone has experience with this particular motor. Any likes/dislikes? Can you put a Donaldson filter on them? I am debating which mower/motor combo to get and it sure seems enticing considering the huge price difference. I have never been a big Briggs fan, but the numbers on this motor are impressive. Supposedly making more torque than higher HP K motors. Obviously though if it's unreliable I sure don't want it.

2. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

The hydro w.b. I had ran a 16 hp vanguard v twin. It was a good engine and never gave me any problems. I am not sure about the 23 or any other sizes though. I now stick to Kawasaki engines just because of personal preference!
  3. blakeg314

blakeg314 LawnSite Member

if you run commerical for 5-6 days a week all day you want to go with the kawi or honda engine.. i strongly suggest you do not get any of the briggs engines, they are just disgusting and do not run for a long time, most of the engines go up to only 400 hours from what i have heard/ seen. i have a 2006 scag with the 18hp honda.. i dont no what mower your looking into but i recommend the honda very much you well be very happy with it. thats my 0.2
  4. Rev. Crabgrass

Rev. Crabgrass LawnSite Member

I have an Intek 13 with 1100 hrs and no problems. Briggs is making a good engine now they just don't have much of the market. Kawasakis are good and I feel hoda is over priced but they do run for a long time.

Th4e Vanguard is the top of the line Briggs and they are durable.

5. echovalley

echovalley LawnSite Member
    from CT

That is COMPLETELY WRONG.The Vanguard is there best motor[had the 16hp on my 54inch bobcats and got over 3000 hrs out of them]The briggs has different grades[as do all manufactures]I/C then Intek and then the Vanguard series.NO ENGINE will last without proper service[oil/filter changes a clean air filter and letting them cool down at a lower idle before shutting them down]Remember you need to adjust the valves on your Kawi engines.
  6. scagwildcat

scagwildcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from nw. ct.

your right! i had a 92 super -z with a 16hp vanguard, i sold it in 2000 with the same engine !!! never ever smoked one bit, if you change the oil, filter, fuel filter, and dont turn up the rpm's it will last a long time!!!
  7. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Buddy, dont speak of what you do not know. The briggs vanguards are a fine engine with minimal problems. Due to them being a newer engine family, there wont be many high hour units out there but I would put it in the running with kawi and honda no doubt. The big block vanguards are really impressive infact, 35hp carburated, what other manufacturer does that?
  8. The mayor

The mayor LawnSite Senior Member

The only realistic complaint I heard about the vangard engine was a overheating issue. I am sure it has been resolved.
  9. blakeg314

blakeg314 LawnSite Member

maniac im not your buddy and i once ran a vanguard and they suck so i no what im talking about and from all the guys i no that run them 6 days a week much rather prefer the kawi or honda mybe briggs is starting to come out with a better engine now, after i ran that i will never run another one again.. we all have are own oponions here no need to get all pissed off or mad.. also my dealer wont sell briggs AT ALL because they really do suck
  10. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

May I ask what this vanguard you used to run was on? Your sig says that you have a scag 48'', no offense but you dont appear to have been in business long enough to form such a hard felt opinion against any product. Infact, are you even 16 yet? "waiting to get my chevy 1500" .... damn troll.