1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Vapour Lock

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by lawn6@bigpond, Dec 29, 2005.

1. lawn6@bigpond

lawn6@bigpond LawnSite Member

We finding with the very hot weather here the Stihl and other strokes are playing up badly due to the heat.

Have been checking fuels caps , instaling inline filter where posiable to ruduce the back pressure , Some Guy's are cooling the carby under taps by trickling water on the carby . Does it help to put fuel Stabilizer in the fuel ????
  2. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

I find it a little hard to think that vapor lock is the problem. The reason being is that the distance from the fuel tank to the carb is so short. I just don't think it would have time to heat up enough to cause vapor lock. Have you tried loosening the gas cap a little to see what happens?

However, aviation fuel has a higher vapor pressure and may help. However, it also has a LOT of lead and will tend to foul spark plugs in small engines. If you really think it's heat that's causing it, you might try fabricating a small tube from the blower to the carb to cool it.
  3. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

I think it has a lot to do with the crappy gas being made now days and the EPA having the carbs run so lean. You put the two together then add a little heat and it can make for a bad day. Not really sure what to tell you on what to do about it. Good luck.
  4. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

Oops! I think that should be LOWER vapor pressure.