Various price estimates

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Keith P, Sep 28, 2004.

1. Keith P

Keith P LawnSite Member

I am starting to expand my services and don't know how to charge. Per hour, square or linear foot.
    1. Sidewalk and driveway edging and clean up of the excess dirt and grass.
    2. Install pavers that will go between a mulch or rock bed and the grass?
    3. Leaf clean up and disposal
    4. Installing bushes, shrubs and small trees
    5. Trimming bushes and hedges.

2. economiclawncare

economiclawncare LawnSite Member

i try to get $60 an hour off of anything that i do not counting driving time. which i can get off of cutting grass but small landscaping i can only seem to get about $45 an hour sense i have to pick up supplies for it.

3. Someone gave me some great advice, when doing landscaping break it down into 1/3's. 1/3 is material
    1/3 labor (your time)
    1/3 PROFIT.
    No matter what you charge per hour on mowing or clean-ups, I try to get 35.00 per hour on these, some say I am to low, but I am however part time, I usually bring in help on larger projects. Any way, the above formula has worked well for me. When I started I always figured my labor as profit, until someone on this site explained it to me. thank god they did.... Go Cowboys...

4. ReckordGeneralMaintenance

ReckordGeneralMaintenance LawnSite Member

I try to base my prices on 40 an hour lower then the big company's but enough to make me some money

5. Keith P

Keith P LawnSite Member

How many feet should one expect to complete per hour installing edging be it pavers or the plastic kind. This would include digging the trench and putting in sand if I use pavers. I don't have any power tools to help dig the trench. Are there any designed for this?

6. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi Keith, What are all your expenses of doing business (taxes, equipment, insurance, advertising, truck, fuel, wear n tear, payrol, ect) devided by the hours worked in years time. This is your rate before profit. Then add what you can/want for your profit margin.

7. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Oh yea, but cost is high. Brown edger I think is $2,300 or so last I looked but it will fly compared to doing it by hand, increasing profits. Dont know how many ft per hour your capable of by hand, depends on many variables (method, tools, skill, how energetic u are, bla, bla, bla) Try timing yourself when u get a small job and go with that. Good luck