Vaseline in wirenuts

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by F6Hawk, Jun 20, 2005.

1. F6Hawk

F6Hawk LawnSite Member

I have read about King & TKHP pre-filled connectors, but why not use regular wire nuts & vaseline, or perhaps the in-line splice types (squeeze shut), also filled with vaseline? Or if not vaseline, then a high-temp grease?

From King's website:
    King Innovation Tan Low Voltage (30v, 10 amps max) wire connector contains petroleum based sealant, replacing electrical tape, heat shrink, multi-piece waterproofing, and direct bury kits on many low voltage underground applications.

Which makes me think that petroleum products won't harm the insulation. My only concern would be the vaseline (or dielectric grease) melting and dropping out...

Just some ideas that have wnadered thru my head today.

2. Vaseline is for other stuff n/m

3. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Not sure if vaseline is conductive or not, but I'd rather not find out.

Just stick to dialetic grease (I use pre-filled gel caps).

4. F6Hawk

F6Hawk LawnSite Member

10characters

5. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

The splices are not the place to nickel and dime the system. Bite the bullet and get the grease filled connectors. Then it's done right and you don't have to worry about it anymore. With 20 caps you have enough for a 10 zone system. And for less than $15.00 that's chump change.

The vaseline will conduct, it will possibly leak out if it gets hot enough (not likely) but you are going to have a mess on your hands - literally.

A side note. Back in '89-90 while working for a wholesale dist. in San Antonio, I was involved in the design and development of the Wade Connector, and even gave it a name/part number. WC-014 - Wade Connector 14 ga. About all I got out of it was a bunch of beer drinking with Mr. Wade.

Jerry R

6. AceSprinkleRx

AceSprinkleRx LawnSite Member
    from Wyoming

This is too dang easy...

7. Randy J

Randy J LawnSite Bronze Member

Never for a customer, but for my own stuff I've taken a wire nut and dripped melted candle wax into it before.

8. James234

James234 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Candle wax and Vasoline are very flammable. It's very dangerous to use either. The best to use is Burndy "Penetrox A" compound. (Caution: some other "oxide inhibitor" compounds sold for the purpose are flammable.
    Penetrox A is not.

9. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Agree completely with jerryrwm.
    The off the shelf filled nuts are also designed with end flaps to help seal/prevent leakage.
    We are supposed to be professional, which includes costing out the system with all parts involved. The very few dollars shouldn't effect the price to customer much at all.

Do you really want to be seen on the job with a jar of Vasoline dipping your nuts in it? :)

10. F6Hawk

F6Hawk LawnSite Member

Well, this one takes the cake! :D

No, we don't want to be like that. But we could probably save QUITE a few dollars by using a cheap box of wirenuts from wherever, and filling them ourselves from a $6 tube of dielectric grease that will probably fill over 100 nuts. After all, that is what the pre-filled ones use, right? That would be somewhere around $12 per hundred, vs. $14 per 20.