Vehhicle security

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by irrig8r, Sep 29, 2010.

1. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

A couple of recent Facebook posts by Tommy Herren got me thinking about truck and trailer security.

What are the best deterrents/ alarms/ etc. that you've come across?

The only thefts I've had in recent years is when I forgot to lock a sidebox at night... and I suspect it was a drug addict looking to turn tools into quick cash.

Maybe having a truck like mine that isn't shiny new acts as a general deterrent in itself... but whatever it is attracts thieves' attention, what are the best methods to keep them out?

BTW, Tommy, I wish you a speedy recovery of your stolen property.

2. irrig8r

oops... 'scuse my title typo... : v-e-h-i-c-l-e

3. DQL10

DQL10 LawnSite Senior Member

I know with the new Ford trucks, you can add the cable lock that is in the bed. This will wrap around the handle of your tools and secure it self back to a point in the bed. Not sure if that may give you an idea or not.

4. extlights

extlights LawnSite Senior Member

Trucks and trailers are in the garage every night. We have yet to have any problems.

5. nikster78

nikster78 LawnSite Member

A Gun full of Ammo.. Come see us at the UT.

6. nikster78

nikster78 LawnSite Member

In all Honesty we strive to be a part of the community.:usflag:

7. irrig8r

8. amscapes03

amscapes03 LawnSite Senior Member

Check out Lojack.

9. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

Try not to forget the thieves from within. Had a Dewalt saw "stolen" this past week, probably by one of my current or ex-employees that had a key to the shop. no break in, just "missing" no one knows where it went. I have had my share of employee theft, probably at least 25-30 pawnable items gone over the last 25 years, and also had our family car stolen from the church parking lot, during the day when my wife was working there as a part time secretary. I had an upgraded stereo system ripped out a month after I bought it. at last count our home has been broken in, or equipment stolen off my truck or trailer right out of my driveway, almost a dozen times in the 17 years I have been married and lived in houses rather than apartments.

And yes, we have always lived in 1600-3000 square foot homes in middle class and up neighborhoods. population of the area we live is close to 500,000 in the two county area, but really, each city has about 65000 folks or so.

I don't know what planet thieves live on, but they seem attacted to me for some reason, and maybe I am an easy mark.

perhaps my Brother the lawn guy has caught this particular bug, as he has had 3 Stihl backpack blowers stolen off his truck in the last 3 years while he was mowing a property. let me repeat- HE WAS MOWING A LAWN AND THEY TOOK A BLOWER RIGHT IN FRONT OF HIM. 400 buck blowers, each obviously less than a year old. he now locks the blowers to the truck, except when blowing.

my best advice would be to move in next to me and park next to me. thieves won't even notice your stuff, they will be going for mine.

10. The Lighting Geek

The Lighting Geek LawnSite Senior Member

thank you Greg,

I had my truck broken into monday morning at 4:45am. I was out the door in 25 seconds and they were driving off. My window on the drivers side was broken, Mirror hanging, my radio was gone along with the 27" LCD TV I had in the passenger seat from the home show I just finished. The dash was so tore up and the wiring so trashed, it had to go to the body shop for repairs. picked up a rental and thought we were good to go. WRONG! 4hours or more more later they broke into my trailer and cleaned me out of every tool I owned. I estimate it to be more than 20k in equipment. Gas cut off saw, Hilti rotohamer, all the dewalt tools, batteries and chargers, every screw driver and wire stripper, wire locator, volt ohm meters, amp probes, sawzall and blades, 15 rotohammer bits, all the bags of tools of my employees, the battery we used for the interior lights, crimpers, torches, testers, signal generators, nut drivers, literally every tool we had. We had to go buy wire strippers and screwdrivers just to start work. I have had much support from friends and suppliers but the expense is killing me, insurance doesn't cover this. I had to change the locks on my home, padlocks on all equipment, and storage units. I had to add an alarm to the trailer. I must tell you it has been devastating.

Make sure you are protected! We all get complacent in time and lazy when it comes to security. If you park a trailer use a lock for the hitch and a lock through the latch. We all lose a tool now and then but this is different. I know it is an inside job, probably a past employee, we think. My keys are unduplicateable. This is very personal and it hurts. I pity them when we catch them.