Vehicle Magnets

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Lasko's Lawn Service, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Lasko's Lawn Service

Lasko's Lawn Service LawnSite Member

Anybody used larger vehicle magnets instead of getting a custom paint job on your trucks for advertising. Can the magnets melt on your vehicle. Just curious if anybody uses these.

2. cfrymow

cfrymow LawnSite Member

I've used them a couple years ago. and could not stand them. If it would rain the edge would curl up and it would blow off. And for the money decals are the way to go. Not to much more than the magnets.

3. Lawn-Sharks

Lawn-Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

I have magnets on my wifes lincoln avaitor $$$$ and i feel ok about putting them on a high end vehicle. their are some draw backs that ive seen with them 1. when its gets cold out they get stiff and fly off while dirving down the road. 2. you have to was both side atleast once every two weeks or they start to act like a sticker (peel them off) and it sounds like the paint is going to come with them. 3. when you take them off to clean you have to set them out in the sun to warm up so they become plyable

4. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

I no longer use them, 4 magnet signs made years ago, when I took them off the paint on the trucks had bubbled, scratched & was sun faded. I now have my Logos on the back & side windows. Avoid the magnets IMO

5. Lawn-Sharks

Lawn-Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

Also if your going to have magnets made dont always go with the cheapest person i shopped around and found my guy who uses nothing but 3M for his digital print. and i had this guy do all my digital print for me. Magnets, Trailer graffics, hats & t-shirts, Business cards and even my trade marked logo up in the left hand corner by my name.. he did it all.. and to give you a ball park for digital print door magnets i paid $120 per magnet but i only use them on my wifes car because she wont have "NO" stickers on her ride.everything i have truck, trailer have digital print on them

6. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't like the magnets because if you dust in between them and the paint it will scratch the clear coat. I don't know of many people that paint decals on, I think most us decaled graphics.

7. french's lawn care

french's lawn care LawnSite Member

I use vinal graphics had them put on my 2001 jeep wrangler if you lease a vehicle that is all they will alow you to put on your vehical is vinal because you can heat it up with a hair dyer and peel it right back off without hurting the paint .I always go through vital signs in my area he is the best and has good prices too he will make a design for you and email it to you and if you like it he will print it out and mail it to you you can contact him at asignmaster@aol.com

christmas 07 059.jpg

8. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Pros and cons to em like anything else.
    Pros
    Inexpansive, a god alternative for high milage trucks.
    You can take them off if your municipality busts balls over commercial vehicles in resi neighborhoods.
    You can tak them off when parked at a strip joint
    cons
    They look cheap
    must be removed every other week in high temps or the sun will make them stick too much tearing them when removing.
    If left on for a long time the paint underneath will fade.

9. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I had magnets on a truck for a couple years. They were pretty high quality, thick magnet material. I was fearfull that they may blow off too, but I never had a problem! I know too well about the dangers of having them on the paint for too long though... Had to pull them off when washing the truck, then let everything dry well before replacing. Even throw some wax on the spot that they are stuck too more often than the rest of the truck. The paint still faded around the magnets! Not enough to be bad, but I could see it.

I've still thought about getting another set for my 'play truck' because I DO use it for work sometimes, like fertilizing and estimates. I don't really want it lettered up full time, so the magnets may work good for that.

10. packey

packey LawnSite Senior Member

it has been said before and I will say it again as an ex sign pro magnets will ruin a paint job if you are not extremly dilligent to keep everything clean. cut vinyl is the same price or cheaper for a simple door logo. As far as removing it that is simple just get your wifes hair dryer and get the vinyl warm then slowly peel off. If I was to do it now I would go with a mixture of digital and cut vinyl. If anyone is interested I have a 4 year old vinyl cutter with computer and dongle I will sell for cheap.