Vehicle maintenance write off?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by rywnygc, Jun 24, 2011.

1. rywnygc

rywnygc LawnSite Senior Member

I have been getting my oil changed at the dealership, so that I have service records for tax write offs. I could do my maintenance and save a crap ton of money now. Can I write it off if I do my own maint. as long as I have receipts for everything?

2. stan the man

stan the man LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

just save the receipts for the oil and filter and write it off. i do it on all my trucks and mowers.

3. Kreios

Kreios LawnSite Member

You can write off anything that pertains to the business in anyway as long as you have receipts
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

And do you use it for personal use....then only a percentage.

5. stan the man

from Maine

4 trucks are company my 1999 i do use for personal to.but my tax man put it all down for company use.lol

6. rywnygc

rywnygc LawnSite Senior Member

personal use? Y'all have time for personal use?...

Thanks for the info. I'd rather do my own maintenance anyhow.

7. vencops

vencops LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

In a way this is true.

Let me ask the OP, though....are you claiming the mileage or are you claiming expenses and depreciation?

If the company owns the vehicle, you can write off everything associated with it. If you claim the miles, though, the government assumes your upkeep and fuel are included in your write-off (+/- $0.51/mi.).

You can't claim mileage AND write off your vehicle expenses (to my knowledge).

8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Aren't tax men great:clapping: I often wonder whether doing business in cash may be more honest than having a CPA/Tax man.

9. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

+1 This the way I understand it. Just track and keep your records either way.

10. stan the man

from Maine

the best job to have is drug dealer. tax free all cash and no taxes and making big money.