Vehicle Signage

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mtdman, Sep 26, 2003.

1. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

One of the biggest pet peeve's of mine is other LCOs that don't have signage on their vehicles. I like to see who's out there, and appreciate it when an LCO takes the time to identify themselves. It makes them look a lot more professional. And I'm always looking for other Lawn Site people. No offense, but I see these guys with no signage on their vehicles and I think "scrub". It makes them look less professional, and more like some redneck with a lawnmower. And I think it gives us all a bad name. People see that any goofball with a mower can do the job, and it takes the professionalism out of the business. All I do is put magnetic signs on my truck, but it still identifies me. They cost less than $100 for a pair. Plus, it's major advertising!

So I'm starting a campaign to get everyone identified!

2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Sorry,You won't see me with any signage.Nope, no scrub either.
    I'd rather choose the people I want to deal with rather than them choosing us.JMO.

3. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

So you don't ever advertise, or respond to requests for estimates/bids?

And beyond that, don't you want to identify yourself and your work?

I always think people that don't identify themselves have something to hide. Not you, just people in general.

4. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

Appearance is a big factor when I do biz. with someone I agree with mtd. I like signage. I just had a big one professionally done for the back of my trailer (tailgate) that I'd show but I have know digital camera.

5. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

you need special insurance on your trucks in my area.plus even if its a 1/2 ton truck it needs commercial plates

6. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

heres one of mine

bmg name.jpg

7. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Obviously we quote jobs,But they are always referred by someone we already know or do business with.Just picked up a number of properties from someones partner who we've been maintaining a house for.He is impressed with what we are doing.
    It works for us.......probably not for everyone though.

8. nova385

nova385 LawnSite Member
    from Mid MI

No signs on my truck here - Not a redneck (at least no wheels on my house )- with a ton of equipment behind me and I am usually pretty busy- I consider my self a Srub- But I am a part timer-

Most of the work I get is through word of mouth :D

9. MOOSE

MOOSE LawnSite Senior Member

mtdmaster, It's the law in some states. Like here in Michigan.
    I didn't have any last year and it cost me $250 for the ticket. Alot of places don't enforce the law. But watch out.

10. nova385

nova385 LawnSite Member
    from Mid MI

MOOSE-
    What is the weight of your rig? I live in Davison just north of you and have never had a Problem with no signs. I have an open trailer (light weight). What did the ticket say was the violation?