vehicle situation, input appreciated

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mcwlandscaping, Aug 19, 2006.

1. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

i get my license in three weeks and my parents and i would like to have a vehicle for me so when i get the license, i can stop having parents taking me to my jobs or having to go with me. My dad has always said that i could have his suburban when i turned 16, it is in prestine condition and i love it. But, im not sure that's what i want. I mean, ill be plowing with it and doing everything else and plowing with something like that wouldn't be the easiest thing in the world, but, the suburban does have its upsides.

positives:
    -free from dad
    -if i go that direction, ill have enough money to buy a new landscape trailer and dump trailer if i want to (i need at least a new landscape trailer)
    -it can easily handle a plow
    -no work needed at all on the thing, amazing condition for its age and like i said above i love the truck
    -im very used to driving it so i think i would be fine plowing in it
    -the back i can use to keep equipment dry in so i don't have to unpack and repack everynight after cleanups (keep blowers, rakes and tarps safely in the back)

negatives:
    -i'm just not sure that's what i want despite the fact that it does fit my needs and quite a bit of my wants
    -the damn radio only works on one station (lol, just so happens to be my favorite)
    -plowing can be a pita with something that is so boxed in like that, harder to see when compared to plowing in a pickup truck
    -will probably be a pita to mount my lightbar to the truck
    -it may look kinda funky plowing in it even though ive seen it done

i dunno, can someone else give some opinion on this issue, ide plan on buying a truck next year for sure if i went the route of taking dads suburban. I would just use it for the next 3/4 of a year to really really build business and save a ton of money since ill have all the things i need to just make money instead of needing something. I do need a new landscape trailer and going the route of taking dads suburban would get it sooner and then i won't have to worry about weather or not we are going to have a profitable winter to save for one with.

if anyone needs any other info or has questions about my situation, plz ask, i really want some opinions on this issue.

2. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Free is free, take the vehicle and use what you have. You're lucky your parents are giving you anything, I had to buy my first truck.

3. Randy J

Randy J LawnSite Bronze Member

Amen! Go for free. Save your money. When you have enough sell the surburban and buy a pickup.

4. Ferdelance

Ferdelance LawnSite Member

Take the free suburban and save the rest of the money for college.

5. TWUllc

TWUllc LawnSite Senior Member

There's your answer.

6. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Take the free Surburban and use it......there are no quarentee that it will snow.... but it seems it always does in the northeast.

Do you allready own a plow?, If not then buy a plow and get it paid for 1st and use any money you make to put down on a truck later. The plow can always be moved to another truck at a later time.

wayne

7. jazak

jazak LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Take it and trade it in on a new or used full size 4x4 truck.

8. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Take it. The price is right.

9. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

That truck wont be so pristine once you start using it for work.. trust me..

10. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

It was a work truck for five years where my dads work before my dad bought it from his boss. As long as you take care of your work truck, you can keep it looking and running great. He works as a land surveyor so it hauled quite a bit of weight in it constantly over those years and was drivin in some pretty serrious conditions (fun though!). Even work vehicles can stay looking good if you take care of them and don't just throw things in them and are careful.

I'm still considering my options, if i took the suburban, it would make it so my dad would have to find another vehicle and i really would feel bad about doing that. I have a few other trucks im going to be looking at this week that i really like so, if those are as good as they look, then ill probably buy a truck.