1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

vehicle warranty's

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by bluemoon, Feb 3, 2003.

1. bluemoon

bluemoon LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

I am looking at a 2002 Dodge, 2wd, cummins diesel. It has 44000 on it , what do you all think about buying extended warranty.
    Also, pro & cons Dodge diesels.
    I have heard the cummins is easy to work on , if needed. Some say it pulls good, some say the powerstroke is better. If needed the powerstroke is more expensive to work on. Basically I have heard it both ways. My Dodge dealer here doesn't have a good record, nor is the service dept any good. The Ford guy is a total a****** , and if I buy, this truck it is on a Chevy lot. The Chevy dealer has a very good service dept.
    This truck doesn't represent everything I want, but I can't afford the price of new truck!!!
    Thanks for any advice.
  2. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

If its a straight shift i'd probably buy a dodge,if I couldn't find a good ford.:eek:
  3. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

i don't personally run diesel but good friends of mine swear by them. my buddy has a '93 cummins with the 5 spd, and a 2002 250hp cummins with 6 spd tranny. '93 has never-NEVER-had engine problems in 10 years of towing and plowing. The only real problem with any cummins powered dodge is the tranny.

don't buy one with the auto--it just can't handle that engine

the 5 spd is prone to losing 5th gear

no known problems with the six speed or with the new 250 hp cummins.

Personally, i wish i had been smart enough to buy one myself-the '93 gets 25 mpg!!
  4. kaufmaninc

kaufmaninc LawnSite Member

It sounds to me like you want an ext. warranty. By all means get one. If you rate the period/years you'll own the truck, it's not a lot of money compared to the assurance & peace of mind you'll receive. Go to warrantygold.com, there are probably others and get a quote. Very simple. I think you're talking $1700 for a 48 month/ 48000 mile ext. warranty. Don't take my words, please check for yourself.

They paid for a $2000. tranny in my Pontiac Montana when it was out of manufacturers warranty.
  5. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I'd get the extended warrenty. One problem with that diesel engine, coiuld cost as much as the warrenty.