1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Vehicular breakdowns

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BRIAN GALLO, Feb 26, 2003.

BRIAN GALLO LawnSite Senior Member

The recent thread about AAA memberships and towing sparked a question for me. If you break down with your trailer attached, how do they tow you then? Do you have to leave the trailer there fully loaded and make other arrangements to get your trailer & equipment home? I'm solo with only 1 vehicle capable of towing my trailer. :confused:
  2. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

Had this happen about 3 years ago. They pulled my truck and 16' trailer back to my shop.
  3. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Same here. Deal with a major towing company. If they have capabilities to tow tractor trailers, your truck and trailer will be no problem! ;)
  4. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Sometimes you will find a company that has a rollback that also has a hitch to they can get your truck on the rollback and the trailer on the tow trucks hitch.....never had this happen bit if i did i would probably have another one of my trucks go pick up the trailer so i wouldnt have to pay the cost of towing the trailer too.
  5. dougaustreim

dougaustreim LawnSite Senior Member

Several years ago, my son picked up an old tow truck (60s) for 1500.00. He does a little towing and starting on the side. Hes a mechanic at the GM dealership. He stores the truck at my shop, so we have the ability to do our own towing. Don't break down very often, but it is nice to have that backup

Austreim landscaping
  6. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

That would not be pretty to leave a trailer around here on the side of the road while you have your truck towed. Someone would help you out by towing your trailer to their home and welcoming it contents to their garage.

7. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Thats tough :( I wouldn't think a thing of it if I had to do that here, I guess it's a small town in comparison to alot of areas (38,000) but it is a safe area :angel:
  8. jason r.

jason r. LawnSite Senior Member

When I went full time I was worried about the same thing. I actually called the towing company I've used in the past and they said the same as BigBadRam2500 posted. Just in case my work truck has to spend any amount of time in the shop, I went out and bought a used 85' GMC Suburban for $800. The thing runs great, it's been my daily driver since I got it.