Velke 1 or 2 wheel sulky which is better

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Don49, Jul 15, 2004.

1. Don49

Don49 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Hi Guys,
    I,ve got two Scag 18 hp 61" hydro riders & a Scag 18 hp 52" beld drive Wb . I'm sick of walking & need some input on which sulky works best & pitfalls of sulkys ?
  2. SouthernFried

SouthernFried LawnSite Senior Member

Had em both.

I think I had the first One wheeled Velke used in San Antonio. I'm always looking for the easiest way to do things, and when these first came out, I thought they were a gift from the gods.

Used one wheel Velke's for yrs, cuz I got used to 'em and was happy...built like friggin tanks.

Finally got a 2 wheel Jungle Jim when some of the guys said they used 'em in other companies.

2 wheels much better than one wheel. Steadier and wider platform to stand on.

The only downfall, is there are more tires to go flat. I fill 'em all with a sealant tho, it hasn't been a problem. In really, really, tight spaces, I sometimes need to get off the velke to make a tight U-turn in an enclosed corner...but, it's rare.

Best WB add-on there is...hands down.
  3. bobcat175

bobcat175 LawnSite Senior Member

The way I understand it - it depends on your weight. I think its like <200 lbs or something for the 1 wheel velke. I have a 1 wheel velke and love it. Tucks up under the bars real nice. But then again I never tried the 2 wheel. Just be careful if you don't back up straight as the standing part wants to go under the arm......yes your ankle is in the middle.
    I agree with SouthernFried - best WB add-on!!
  4. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

Amen to that Southern Fried. Now if they would only make the wb's faster knowing we use them.

I would say go for the two wheeled model. Brands are personal choices. I use Jungle Jim but i cant say i am completely sold on them. I am always looking for a better one. The biggest things to look at are:
    1. Weight displacement--two tires displaces better than one
    2. Backing up safety--Does the model you have have a stop device so the wheels cant do three sixties under itself? Broken ankles would suck in our job.
    3. How many points do you have to grease?
    4. Is it flexable or will you be hitting things when you turn to close to them.
    5. Is your machine belt drive? If so then reverse is not an issue.
    6. I would say do a search and read some other opinions.

JMO though
  5. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 2 wheel caster sulky from lesco. But then again my w/b is a hydro
  6. mpblass

mpblass LawnSite Member

I prefer the two wheel Velkie over the one wheel. It will be a great add-on to your walk behinds. You might also look into the Proslide. I do prefer it over my Velkie. It is a little easier on my knees.
  7. simsy71

simsy71 LawnSite Member

personally I hated the one wheel version. I just bought a 2 wheeled jungle jim sulky and love it. . I have a 48 exmark metro and have had no problems.
  8. dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member

No wheels is the way to go.....:) I had a two wheel jungle wheels and switched to the Proslide. Why ride when you can slide:D:D
  9. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

So you can back up without tearing the turf, so you can cross over conrcete without scraping the bottom off, so you can let the tires absorb some of the bumps, instead of feeling every dime you run over in your legs and up through your back.......any other questions? lol

2 Wheeled Jungle Jim here, absolutely love it.
  10. FLS

FLS LawnSite Member

We've got 2 two-wheeled velkes,if you have a foot bigger than a 10 there's more room on a two-wheeled and it don't leave a third tire mark in the lawn.We had a one-wheeled long ago and anything is better than walking.