Velke..1 or 2 wheels? 15 or 18 inch arm??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GarPA, Jul 11, 2003.

1. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

After reading all the opinions here on the various ride behind accessories I've decided to go with the Velke. Theres a 1 wheel or a 2 wheel. I lean towards the 2 wheels just because it might be more stable but I've never been on one so I'm clueless. Then theres the ? of an 18 or 15 inch arm...do I need the longer arm or is the 15" adequate? Would appreciate your advice on these 2 issues...thanks

2. Cooper Landscaping

Cooper Landscaping LawnSite Member

GarPa-
    I have never used one but from what i have read here go with the 2 wheel mode. Less likely to leave a funky line in your stripe if you stripe and also your weight is split up between two wheels not one, leaving less of a chance for rutting when the lawn is wet. As for arm length I have no idea but i would assume that the 15" would be for people of normal size and 18" would be for people who are a little bigger- not sure at all though- just a guess

-Coop

3. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Two wheel is better....the only draw-back is when you make a sharp turn, it will "swing around"...but still much more comfortable than a single wheel. ;)

4. GarPA

from PA

Coop...good point you make about rutting if its wet and the weight sitting all on one wheel. I'm 6' 1" 190 lbs if that matters. It'll be used on an Exmark Viking 36".

5. GarPA

from PA

billy...do you have an opinion on what length arm to go with...15 or 18? thanks

6. Planet Landscaping

Planet Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Got 1 and 2. workers prefer 1. Reason, doesnt wobble back and forth like the 2, doesnt swing wider in turn than mower,With 2 if you 180 the mower by an object, outside wheel will hit.
    1 does leave a stripe ,will not load without removal into tall truck without denting wheel cover.But out handles 2. I prefer the 1,same goes for workers. Real world test. Both are good and last for years.arm length??? mine are 18".:D ( (on 48" belt drives)

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Have only the 1-wheel on all the wb's Gar...been that day since day 1. Workers prefer it over the 2-wheel. Honestly don't know what length they are though.

8. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I would go with the two wheel.

I have a 48 inch turf tracer and purchased a 2 wheel velke for it. The velke had the long arm on it and after a while my back was bothering me and found out that I needed the shorter arm from a catalog. The velkey stuck out too far in back and I was having to stretch and while turning sometimes, I guess I was twisting also.

I got the shorter arm and problems were gone. I think it was in a Medart catalog that I found out I needed the shorter one, seems the dealer would have had this info and sold me the right one for my unit.

Mabey look in some catalogs and they might have the size arm shown for your mower.

9. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

I recommend the 15" arm for the ECS Exmark.

10. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

2 wheeler and never look back, you will love the smooth ride and "stability "out in the open, spinning around with confidence, in turn none fatigue.
    15" for ECS and 18" for pistol grips, you will see the comfort offered in those length.