Velke clogging solved!!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LAWNS AND MOWER, Feb 26, 2002.

1. LAWNS AND MOWER

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

Since the spring surge growth season is rapidly approaching, I felt this would be a good time to offer this tip. For those of you that have Velke's clog up with wet grass, listen up. This is a good rainy or snowy day project. Remove the tire from the Velke and bring the platform section to a welder. Have him cut open a rectangle on the cover over the wheel about 2 inches wide and 10 inches long. Ya'll very rarely have anymore problems with grass clogging up. Hope this helps!!!!!

LAWNS AND MOWER

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I like the idea. Could you include a pix of it so I can see how it looks? I don't want to cut out too much and possibly weaken it.

Thx

3. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

sounds easy, thanks for the tip! how did u come up with it?

4. LAWNS AND MOWER

rodfather- wish I could figure out how to attach pics but I'm still a beginner when it comes to computers. However, I will take some pics and attempt to post them. You don't really have to worry about the Velke becoming weak, since the opening is on the top of the cover and there's no weight being applied to it. I've had mine this way for 5 years.

stslawncare- I must confess, I didn't come up with this. One of my lco buddies had this done and turned me on to it. Just thought I would pass it on to ya'll.

LAWNS AND MOWER

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

How much in the way of clippings can come out? And do you have to worry about it building up around your feet and possible slipping on it?

6. LAWNS AND MOWER

Rodfather- You'll be suprised. Hardly any clippings go through the opening and if they do, they just fly between your legs. I'll try to get a pic posted.

LAWNS AND MOWER

7. LAWNS AND MOWER

As promised, here's the pic. Hope this helps!!

LAWNS AND MOWER

028_25a11.jpg

8. MATTHEW

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

You should be able to do it yourself with a 6" cutting wheel and a steady hand. Torch cutters leave rough edges. I'm stuck with the clogging problem since I installed my sit down attatchment. I welded a 1-3/4" post with 2 steel supports to the top of the wheel cover. Then, I got a nice wide cushy bicycle seat and added a post that slides right into the other post. So, when I have a larger flat lawn, I can cop a squat. It's not too good on a hilly or uneven lawn-trust me.