Velke Cracked my mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by danthemowerman, Aug 20, 2001.

1. danthemowerman

danthemowerman Banned

about two months ago I bought a Velke for my Encore 48' belt drive (yeah, I konw Encore sucks, I wish I knew of lawnsite before I bought it) I have used it less than 100 hours and the back of my mower, where the attachment peice is connected to the mower and the velke is connected to the peice about an inch and a half higher, has cracked my mower frame. (When the mower pulls the velke the vekle pulls at the top of the peice and the bottom pushed in and has cracked it.

I would like to know if any of you have had any similar problems and how I could fix this without having to buy an entire new rear end of the mower(I don't know what it's called, sorry)

I am currently attaching it on top of the frame, right behin the transmission, but the velkie cannot in a full range of motion, especally at the valleys or bottoms of hills or going down some curbs.

The only idea I have would be to get a tourch and melt the metal that is cracked and allow to to dry and seal, then get two 1/8" tick peaces of strong steal and sandwhich the cracked area, the get longer bolts and hook un the velke

Please help, I'm farely new here and have read an learned alot here in the last 2 months and in dire need of help.

Almost royally screwed,
  2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Take it to a welding shop,let them plate it,or whatever it needs.Either the metal was to thin,the bolts came loose,or you didnt spread the load of the velke over a big enough area (to small a plate).
  3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I would just put something against the backside of it, pound it out to straighten it, then layer a piece over the top and weld it. It'll be BETTER than new!;)
  4. lawnworker

lawnworker LawnSite Senior Member

yep that will do it weld away
  5. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

must be a cheap mower!
  6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

My Gravely did the same thing, just do like everyone says, plate it.
  7. fivestarlawnken

fivestarlawnken LawnSite Senior Member

i would take it to a weld shop,is it connected in middle or on sides?My sulky is connected at the sides for better distribution of weight> Good luck