Velke Mower????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cklands, Mar 21, 2005.

1. cklands

cklands LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

Does anyone have one of these things. I have a couple of Standers but I use Exmark walk behinds. I am going to get either a 36 or 32 for a couple of tight fenced in pool areas and back yards and was curious if there was any eedback about the Velke Mower.

2. clay duncan

clay duncan LawnSite Senior Member

i have a 36 in. velke mower that i cannot live without. it is easy to use, easy to maintain, will go anywhere and has a wonderful cut. i bought mine last year and put 350 hrs. on it with no problems at all. i have the 15 hp kawaisaki. good luck....

3. Go for the Green

Go for the Green LawnSite Member

Stick with ExMark..

Better cut..better mower!

4. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I looked at one when they first came out, and quickly rejected any thought of getting one. For me, a major piece was missing -- cruise control.

If I understood (and the man staffing the trade show booth) correctly, one has to hold the handles in exactly the same position to keep a constant speed. I'm sure the right/left ones are close enough to hold with one hand, so one can be indexed off the other. However, many of my properties are rough. I cannot imagine being able to hold the handles in the same position with the mower bouncing very much. The handle system does not include an adjustable bar to index the handles from for maximum forward speed. Yes -- I seemed to recall a bar, but the adjustment was not something one would do on the fly, at a turn, or as terrain varies. I believe the design is similar to a Stander -- one reason I've not give serious consideration to a Stander. Maybe somebody can correct me if my perception is wrong.

This is the same reason I rejected a Hustler w/b -- not any way to hold a constant forward speed when mowing in bumpy lawns. I was told at a trade show a couple of weeks ago a cruise control for the Hustler is under development and would be available by Fall. I think something was posted about this in a recent thread.

5. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

When & Where do You Use the Standers Over the eXmark Walks....I Have a Bunch of eXmark Walks & Was Considering Adding Standers...

Demoed the Standers last Year & Did not like the Fixed Deck or the Rutting...36".

6. clay duncan

clay duncan LawnSite Senior Member

i work with a partner one day a week that has a 48in. turf tracer with ecs. it is a nice machine and i do like it but the cut is certainly not better by any means. it may be the difference of a 36 vs. a 48 but from what i have seen looking at the same property that has been cut with both mowers i like the cut of the wright. for whatever that is worth.

7. cklands

cklands LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

I started with the walk behinds and have added the Standers as I need to add more crews. There are only few properties where the WB is more efficient and only one or two where the Stander is just not safe to use (on hills etc.) Basically I have a couple guys that are very comfortable on the Standers and I have a couple that are not, so I guess the when and where is more based on who is on the crew.
    As far as the cut is concerned I have found that the Stander has a better cut but that could aslo be that the WB's are either 14 or 15 hp and the Standers are the 23 hp.
    In regards to the "cruise control" I am assumng that the Velke is set up the same way as the Stander. If that's the case it is very easy to get used to. the first lawn or two is a little strange but after that you won;t want to use anything else.
    I have not seen anyone using the Velke in my area so I was looking for some feedback as far as reliabilty, etc.

8. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I have tried them out. But I standing on the machine not on the velke behind the velke mower. I would just spend the little extra and get a 32" or 36" stander. If you got standers now, your guys will be able to jump right on them a run them. The velke needs a little getting use to over the stander.

9. Wright Mfg

Wright Mfg Guest

Roger - Think of it this way. Why don't cars and trucks have an adjustable limit on the gas pedal and how do you live without it. Even off road vehicles with gas pedals don't need a limit on them. Your foot learns how to react to bumps. Also a limit on a mower prevents easy/quick speed increases when you want it.

Thanks for your thoughts,
    JV

10. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

JV,

I agree with your statement about cars/trucks. We drive with our heel firmly planted on the floorboards. However, the w/b handles have a far different relationship to the operator. When walking behind, or riding on a sulky, the handles are very unsteady. It is this part of control that is scary to me.

I'm sure the Stander provides better control because the operator is standing, able to lean against pads in the rear. But, with a w/b, the handles are far from any platform, plate, etc.

I have an Exmark 36, with a BullRider (used to use a single-wheeled Velke, but didn't like the stripe). On rough terrain, the mower is bouncing, I'm bouncing (even moreso with the single-wheeled sulky), and I can't imagine trying to hold those control levers in a firm, steady position at arm's length. I regret that I cannot have a week with each piece of equipment so that judgments can be made with a firmer foundation of experience. Maybe I'm unfair.