Velke on and 36 Ex

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by heygrassman, Apr 2, 2002.

1. heygrassman

heygrassman LawnSite Senior Member

Is anyone running a 36" Ex with a Velke on it.. are you happy with the way it performs.. Curious on Mr. Moderators thoughts as well..

Thanks in advance

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

I copied this post to the commercial side of the forum to get you more feedback from the cutters. The only thing you might want to do is edit your post on the Commercial Lawncare Forum so that instead of saying, "Is anyone running a 36" Ex with a Velke on it..", it will read, "Is anyone running a 36" Exmark with a Velke on it.." I wasn't able to make this change once the post was copied to the Commercial Lawncare Forum side. This post carries the same title as the post on the eXmark side.

Exmark Customer Support
  3. heygrassman

heygrassman LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks Dustin...

Guess I am lost on posting to this forum.. I had no clue it went to Comm Lawn Care...

Anywho, what are your thoughts on the performance of a Velke?? Any recommendations on motor setup to run a 36" with a Velke?? I need to get into gates but I want to ride the long runs.. I know I need two machines but the budget is not allowing it right now..

4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

I would say that the Velke is by far the most popular stand-on sulky on the market. Some guys like the one wheel, and others like the two wheel version. The only complaint I have heard about the single wheel version is that some feel it leaves too distinct of a mark in the grass. I could see how this could happen, because all of your weight is on one wheel, instead of two.

As far as engine recommendations on a 36", I would go with either the 15-hp Kohler or the 15-hp Kawasaki. It's hard to go wrong with more horsepower, and it's especially nice if you are doing any mulching. The Kawasaki would be my first choice because it is a twin cylinder engine, which makes it easier on the arm when pull starting.

If you're looking at the Metro, I would go with the 15-hp Kohler because I like the ECS controls on this model. The ECS controls are not available on the Metro with a 15-hp Kaw. and a 36" deck. If you like the pistol grip models, I would go with the 15-hp Kawasaki. E-mail me or create another post if you have any other questions.

Talk to you later,

Exmark Customer Support
  5. beck

beck LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 36" exmark with the 12.5 kaw. I use a two wheel velke and it pulls me at 175lbs(maybe 190 now after winter) without any problem.
    Buy the two wheel over the one wheel. Do a search and you will find plenty of info on this subject.
  6. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

i have the pistol grips on my metro and like them. never tried ecs but it just looks funky to me. also have the 15 kohler and i can't say enough good things about it. only thing i'd change about it would be automatic compression release like the kawi's. easy enough to get around that tho, just pull the cord slowly till the compression stroke is over.

also i've been on a 12.5 kawi with a two wheel behind it. works great except for backing up (have to get off to pull the mower back and it's kind of in the way, and in 5th the belts tend to slip with the added weight being pulled.)

now i need a 52" HP... still looking for a donor... :D
  7. Grassrootz

Grassrootz LawnSite Member

How are you attaching the Velke to the mower? I just bought a new mower and was wondering if I need to drill holes to attach it. It is a aftermarket brand... not exmark. Stand up 2 wheel type.
  8. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Get 2 wheeler, like Jungle Jim's jungle wheels or Trimmer Trap's Bullrider, either one and "never" look for any sulky again.
    12.5 Kawi rules, by the way... it is vintage engine that has been tested and beaten up by millions of landscapers around country! besides cheap