Velke, sulky, whats the difference?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by PTOhioMower, Sep 24, 2004.

1. PTOhioMower

PTOhioMower LawnSite Member

What exactly is the difference between a velke and a sulky? I understand the pro slide. What are the pros and cons of the three? I am very close to getting a Scag SWZU 48" 17hp walk behind and I want to save my legs.

2. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

the name to my understanding....go for the proslide tho...you won't be disappointed!

3. The C Man

The C Man LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

A Velke is a Sulky, but a Sulky isn't necessarily a Velke. Velke is a brand name.

4. gogetter

gogetter Banned

It's funny, I called a commercial dealer the other day and asked them if they had any "sulkys" in stock. He said "a sulky?". I said, yeah, a thing with wheels that you stand on and it pulls behind a mower.

He said, "ooooh, you mean a velke?". I said, I don't care which brand it is, I just need a sulky!

And it was even funnier that the brand of sulkys that they do carry, isn't even Velke! You'd think a commercial dealer would know this stuff.

So as C man said, a "Velke" is just one particular brand of sulky.

I now use one with the swivel wheels made by Havener. You can backup and do 3 point turns with it. And your always behind the controls, not like a trailing sulky that requires you to twist at the hip when making a turn

5. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

I would call a sulky someting you ride on, and a velke a standup version of a sulky. I use a velke on my Scag 48, and I love it.
    Pros and cons? A velke, you can step off'n it when going across a steep hill, a sulky might be dangerous on the same slope.
    Proslide? Never tried it, don't know.
    Crawdad

6. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I enjoy my Velke. Only downside is a lot of my customers have hills, and I end up hopping on and off it a lot. But overall its saved my legs this season.

I guess the Velke/sulky confusion, that's like when my customers refer to "trimming" as "edging".

Customer: "You're gonna edge around all the trees each week, right?"
    Me: "You mean with a shovel?"
    Customer: "Huh?"
    Me: "Edging's for the sidewalk and curb. You talking about trimming?"
    Customer: "Whatever. You're gonna do it right?"
    Me: "Well, I want to be clear on what we're talking about..."
    Customer: "I'm confused..."
    Me: "Me too..."

7. PTOhioMower

PTOhioMower LawnSite Member

Thanks for clearing it up for me everyone.

"I guess the Velke/sulky confusion, that's like when my customers refer to "trimming" as "edging". "

Yea, the "trimming", "edging", thing can be quite confusing. Best to clarify before doing the work. I had that problem my very first mowing job.

8. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd make my own sulky--in fact I will when I get the Snapper w/b from the church if I get the time.

9. Branchland

Branchland LawnSite Senior Member

My velke has 1 wheel. My friends sulky has 2 wheels. Maybe that's the differance.