VELKE- thoughts? Generic or expensive brand?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Right Touch, Sep 17, 2009.

1. Right Touch

Right Touch LawnSite Senior Member

Im looking into buying my first velke for my 48" exmark hydro walk behind. My exmark dealer just quoted me $325. I looked on ebay and they have new ones for $199. Is the generic brand ok or is it worth the extra $125 for the exmark? I'd imagine these things get pretty beat up so I wanna make sure its built tough enough.
  2. heybruck34

heybruck34 LawnSite Senior Member

you're in NJ so your mowing season will be ending soon. Go to the local shops and find a used name brand for $100-150. Buy the bushings off J-thomas and maybe a wheel or two, voila- you have a functionally new, top quality unit for a couple hundred bucks. May not be new paint but if you want that, paint it over the winter.

I got a velke X2 for $90 and spent about $35 on parts. Painted it myself Scag Orange and until I sold it, looked like it was original.
  3. eagleharborelite

eagleharborelite LawnSite Member

The main difference between the Ebay(Havener Ent) and Velke brand is transporting. The Velke brands allow you to hang single wheel units and store them out of the way. I have used Havener's products and the quality is good. They do come with quick release pins that help the situation but it's still a hassle, in my opinion. But still good quality. I have purchased a few of the scratch & dent items and really could only find painting flaws, no dents, scratches, etc.
    Good Luck
  4. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

I have 2 Haveners and 1 Velke X2 and have hundreds of miles on all of them with no issues The Haveners are a great buy and you can remove it with 1 pin.
  5. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

What he said^^^^^^^^I have the same type-Havener-got it in 05, use it a least once a week, worth the money, I could paint it red to match the Toro and claim its a Toro brand..........I wasn't about to pay $300.00 for something like that......
  6. MikeKle

MikeKle LawnSite Platinum Member

I paid $330. for my velke X2!!! I didnt know dealers sold used stuff? I wish I did know this before! They are a bit over-priced I think, after all its just a metal plate with small wheels and decent roller bearings? and they want over 300. bucks for this?!! As long as the one you buy has all the grease fittings in the right places, I would get the cheapest one I could find. They are all basically the same thing anyway, some just have different pivot point set-ups but still performs the same function.
  7. GraZHopA

GraZHopA LawnSite Senior Member

Your dealer actually gave you a good price for a new "Stand-On", as the MSRP is ~$400. A used or new moderately priced single wheel velke would probably work well for you, but for me it would be worth the additional money to be able to fold the thing up out of the way.
  8. Brad Ent

Brad Ent LawnSite Member

$330 is cheap compared to the factory Toro units - $750+
    The Toro unit is very nice, but way too much IMO.
  9. GraZHopA

GraZHopA LawnSite Senior Member

It is a shame that you were not looking for a velke a month ago, as I had just what you are needing for sale.
  10. Right Touch

Right Touch LawnSite Senior Member