Velke vs. Jungle wheels?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by EHesseyLawns, Apr 21, 2002.

1. EHesseyLawns

EHesseyLawns LawnSite Member

which one is better the one wheel velke or the two wheeled jungle wheels, i use toro walk behinds....would it not make more sense to go with jungle wheels to get rid of that "third" stripe in the middle?

elizabeth

2. Columbia Turf

Columbia Turf LawnSite Member

Two wheeled Velkie. Have never tried the "jungle wheels" but have 4 two wheel Velkie. We like the Velkie brand alot.

3. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

My opinion is that the Jungle wheels would be better than a Wright Velky. JW's stripe according to their promo stuff. Weight is displaced better on them. My 2 wheeled Velky digs rutts in slightly moist turf.

If I had to do it over again I'd get the Jungle Wheels.

Cordially,
    Sheppard

4. pakmule

pakmule LawnSite Member

Check out trimmertraps line of stand ons. I have the rocketwheels and they work great.

5. GilbertJT

GilbertJT LawnSite Member

I have the Jungle Wheel and love it. It pulls good and the weight is distributed well. I have no complaints. I have never tried the single wheeled velkes and at this point I don't think that I ever will.

6. Quail Creek LC

Quail Creek LC LawnSite Member
    from IOWA

Velke brand all the way. I've owned both and nothing compares to the Velke brand. I used my jungle wheels a couple of times and then sold it.

7. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

It does take much to understand the 2 wheel velky is more comfortable than a single wheel. First, you can run less tire pressure with a 2 wheeler, since there are 2 wheels to support the same weight as 1 wheel. Next, if you hit a hole with the single wheel, you get the "whole hole" bump, instead of a 2 wheeler only hitting one wheel at a time.
    Now, if you are running a Hydro there is only one "two wheeler" to buy, and that is the "bullrider". The reason for this is, it is built and designed strong than anything on the market. Plus, it is the only velky that is made (standard) to allow "fixed" mode wheels" and "swivel" mode" castor style, and switchable in about 30 seconds.
    As far as "normal" 2 wheeler velky's, "jungle wheels" come with larger tires than the "Velky" brand, which is similar to the scag brand, so the Jungle wheels are still the better bet, among regular two wheel velkys. Plus the JW brand is made with an adjustable mounting bar to allow you to custom fit the length to your size. This is important for comfort, too. This is easy to see if you go to each ones web site.
    Pete

8. yorkpaddy

yorkpaddy LawnSite Member

I have a jungle wheels and I like it. I regularly go across hills with it without a problem. The platform sits up higher than the 2 wheel velkie. So its no going catch on things like that one would. The pivots on the jungle wheel are massive compared to the velke, I have heard of people breaking the pin on velkie's at the mower. When your going up a hill you can stand on the back of the platform to keep the front down. And when your tires are spinning you can stand up further on the platform in front of the wheels and it puts more weight on the drive wheels.

The downsides
    1. When I bought it, one of the pins was too big and didn't fit into the bushing.
    2.I have a 36 inch toro belt. And the JW weighs so much that I can't hang it up on my handle bars, because that just makes the machine wheelie all the time. So I have to take it off the machine every time I put the mower in my truck and I always get grease on my hands.
    3.Its a little hard to find parts for it