1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Velkey or Jungle on belt drive?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lonnie13, Feb 8, 2003.

1. lonnie13

lonnie13 LawnSite Member

Thanks for those of you who posted to my previous message. I have a toro 36" beltdrive and would like to know what you guys prefer with a beltdrive. Also, anyone know anything about a turf rider? Thanks.
  2. Ed Ryder

Ed Ryder LawnSite Senior Member

I've used the Velke on my 48" gear drive walkbehind. I got rid of the tire and put a solid tire in. I also had the top of the wheel well cut out so grass wouldn't get clogged in there and slow me down. It works fine and I always go at top speed with it. You just need to be careful not to bang your shins into it when you hang it and walk behind the machine instead of ride. Man, does it hurt when it hits the shins:realmad:
  3. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

I vote jungle wheels.
  4. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

Either one would be a wise choice because it's a hell of a lot better than walking anway. But if I had to choose, I would take the Velke. I would say forget about the Turf Rider cause I think those only work well with the hydros.
  5. lonnie13

lonnie13 LawnSite Member

Thanks guys, has anyone seen the jungle wheels on alamia.com? Are they an older model or something, it doesn't look like the arm is extendable on it.
  6. Lawn Specialties

Lawn Specialties LawnSite Member

I ordered mine through them a couple months ago and it does have the adjustable arm.
  7. e-RoK

e-RoK LawnSite Member

I've only used a Velke with our 48" Scar Belt driver and honestly I prefer walking. That's one reason I do this job is for the exercise and I found myself getting lazy by using the velke when it came to other things. But than again it is easier.
  8. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

I would check out a pro-slide as well.

I've never used a wheeled Velky or anything like that.

I have a 32" belt drive and went right with the pro-slide.

Stripes like you can't believe.

Do a search and you'll find some better answers.