1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Velkie on 48 metro exmark?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by J&M Landscape, Dec 25, 2007.

1. J&M Landscape

J&M Landscape LawnSite Member
    from ohio

I have a 48" Exmark Metro belt drive. I have been using a velkie. Some people have told me that it will harm the transmission. When i bought the mower the dealer told me that it was perfectly fine. Has anyone had any problems using a velkie on a belt drive mower?
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, and no.

First of all the mowers were not designed for its use, some care and attention is essential: Never shift gears in motion! Best to select one gear for all, just do everything in that gear and let the belts take the wear, they don't wear that much faster.

Practice helps, I did ruin my first tranny but it held 2 years and it was used when I got it, I still shift them like Formula I's lol just learned when to and when not to shift, has a lot to do with when the load is OFF the tranny is when to shift - Again the no-nonsense way is pick a gear and stay in it.

Last but not least are the splined shaft couplings: If your Wb has fine splined (36-spline) shafts then these will wear out in 1-2 years, thou most later Wb's have the 9-spline (coarse pattern) couplings, some of the older ones still have 36 fine spline ones.
    When these break, it is always fine spline ones that do it, the newer 9-spline ones do not wear out. So what you do since you have to replace all of the shafts anyhow is replace the entire hardware with 9-spline wares and gtg.
    Total cost: $100 or so, tranny removal not required.

Worst case you will start to want to look for new tranny and the prices, they run about $200.
    If you have to replace one best I can tell you is buy a new one, replace that, then keep the old one so you can rebuild it later.
    Once rebuilt set it aside, there, spare tranny.

All in all, I ride that velke now for 6 years, replaced one set of couplings at one time, a transmission another...
    Yeah, some problems, but I'd rather ride.
    It ain't that bad, your choice, walk or fix it once in a moon, if it breaks.

Other notes: You have to do it, sometime you have to say all that 'I think I need nine spline instead of fine spline 9 spline... no, nine spline is coarse spline since 36 splines are fine, no, wait... Ok, the fine splines I have and the splines are worn and I need fine spline NO!, make it coarse spline cuz the fine nine.... five? arrrrg!' stuff in several sentences in fast succession while explaining to the dealer all of this, loads of tongue twisting fun there.

But for the record:
    Fine spline = 36 splines, shaft AND couplings.
    Coarse spline = 9 splines, shaft and couplings.
  3. K c m

K c m LawnSite Senior Member

don't worry about it. I run a 36 and a 48 metro and interchange the velkie as i see fit. I have had the velkie for 4 years now and there is not one single problem with it or my mowers. Sometimes if you're going up a hill its a little tough on the mower but other then that :)