Velkie Question?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rcav8er, Dec 10, 2002.

1. rcav8er

rcav8er LawnSite Member

How long should the shaft be on the average velkie. I've noticed that several velkies I've looked at appear to have rather long shafts, is this more of a personal preferance for most of you guy's. The walkbehind I'm in the process of buying has a Velkie and the previous owner suggested shortening it about 2". I'm just curious is this something that is normally a issue and what is the recommended. This mower has a T-bar so it seems possition will be important to stay balanced.

2. quikag

quikag LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Yes, especially with the toro midsize walk behinds with the t-bar steering, it get rather uncomfortable if you're constantly having to lean forward. Shortening the arm would help prevent this. I know jungle jims makes one that has an adjustable arm. This is what I use with my Toro's and they work great.
  3. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

the velke has two different length arms. Just be sure and order the short one if that is what you know you want.
  4. Velke has an 18" arm and a 15" arm available.

When I had Toro's I shortened the 18" to 13". Then I found the 15" and they are usable but have a slight lean with them.

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

In the spring, there was a thread about how hard it was to find a 15inch Velke. I was able to order one from a company (can't remember their name) for $259, taxes and shipping included. Got it in 2 days. Their phone # is 1-877-626-5699. When it comes to Velkes and your using a T-Bar, shorter is better. Good luck.
  6. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Don't forget, you can always find a local welder that can change the length of your arm for a small minimal charge. I have one that I use for everything. If you stay in this business, I'd suggest hooking up with a local welde and get friendly with him. Well, not too friendly;)
  7. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

custom made no more problems.:D

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree. My Toro just went through its 7th season. Visiting the welder seemed to become a monthly chore for me.
  9. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

ME, TOO.........Yeah, but at least we're not working:D
  10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

It would seem to me you would want it short/long enough so that you are standing directly over the hand controls. Last thing I want to do is hunch over all day long if it's too far away from the mower.

Guess I'll have to go and measure the ones on our WBs.