Velkies/Sulkies

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rodfather, Jan 6, 2004.

1. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Has anyone ever tried foam filling any one of their 1 or 2 wheel velkies/sulkies. And what were the results too btw??? I'm interested in knowing what happened.

Thanks guys...

2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

You will BOUNCE All over the place.
    John

3. Cut 2 Please

Cut 2 Please LawnSite Member

Flat tire on a velke. One of the reasons I swithched to Pro-Slide.
    I have yet to have a flat on my slide. LOL

4. Doc Pete2

Doc Pete2 LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

Ron,
    I think you're running single wheel velkies. I switched to 2 wheel velkies. Ride is much better, and in two years I've yet to have a flat. The amount of pressure on a single wheel is unreal, which pinches the tube on the side and is cause of many flats.
    DP

5. rodfather

Elephant Nest told me to do the same DP. My problem is it's gonna be kind of expensive changing over since I have 7 or 8 of the one-wheeled type right now. Know what I mean?

I did though last year foam fill all the front tires on my WB's...no noticeable difference in performance or handling there btw.

6. Doc Pete2

Doc Pete2 LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

Well then.......... Regardless of other info, if it was me, I'd put the foam in "one" velky and test it.... Wa da ya think????

7. rodfather

Good suggestion Pete...think I'll give it a whirl on one of the spares and see what happens. Not only are there rich people in Baaaaaaaaaaaasking Ridge, but some smart ones too.:D Thanks.

8. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

9. rodfather

One's not enough...thanks anyway but I think I will try and test one with the foam.

10. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

why not start to switch over tothe 2wheeled velky one at a time? I think they euse the same mount as the one wheeled as long as you are using the "velky" brand. Or if yo want to go to a castoring type like bullrider then do one crew at a time.
    Just an idea.

The foam is a good idea. I wouldn't want to get the tires too "hard" because then the ride would be rougher. I reun prett low preasure in my sulky tires. You could use the slime tire sealent type of stuff in them. my trailer tires got full of thorns so I slimed both tires last spring and they have held ever since.