Velkies

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by little green guy, Apr 3, 2000.

1. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

I'm going to buy a velky for a 52 scag hydro and I was wondering which is better the single wheel or two wheel velky. Thanks

2. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

im also in the market for a velke.... ive never own onw but wouldnt even consider a single wheeled on because it adds a third wheel mark wich is very unnatractive.

3. QLC

QLC LawnSite Member

I agree with Evan. I have a 1 wheel Velkie brand and the wheel mark in the middle doesn't do justice for a good stripe. I would like to have a 2 wheel but don't have the extra money. I don't think it will get used as much this year either because I bought a 61&quot; Z-Max. Sitting is much better than standing. hehehe<p>QLC

4. QLC wrote:<p>&gt;Sitting is much better than standing<p>Not if the ground is real bumpy it's not.<p>

5. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Did ya ever hear of the Pro-Slide?<br>I have one on a Toro 15hpp hydro walk or slide behind. They dont go over the sidewalks very well but they stripe great and they really get the looks. I paid about 400 for it but it was worth every penny. It is a piece of heavy duty poly on diamond plate. Its attatched with a retractable cylinder for when you step off. Its about 2' wide and slides over the turf, I love it. Just a thought. I'm not a dealer but if you want more info e-mail me at balc@gbonline.com<br>

6. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

thanks for the replies. I was thinking about the two wheel over the single wheel to begin with but i didn't know if the single wheel would be more menuverable (sorry about the spelling) behind a hydro. Any thoughts? thanks

7. lawnforce1

lawnforce1 LawnSite Member

I have both for my Scag 52. I like the single wheel better because it seems to have less resistance going up small inclines and also it is much easier to turn and back. The double wheeled does leave a better pattern but it also can tear the grass up when it's damp. I also looked at the slide but the local dealer told me it wouldn't fit the Scag so I passed. If this isn't true I might have to go to another shop and get one.

8. columbiaplower

columbiaplower LawnSite Senior Member

There is only one 2 wheel that is fixed(rocket wheels)I heard that the 2 wheels take away manerverability (sp).

9. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

I think I've used a dozen different sulkies, probably owned 4 or 5. 1 wheel & 2 wheel. I also built 3 different ones myself. Actually built my own 2 wheel unit when I first saw the velkie advertised - that was like 1990. I could write a 10 page article on all I've learned about sulkies, but I'll spare everybody.<p>Anyway, I would buy 1.) Jungle Wheels 2.) Bullrider and then 3.) 2 wheel velkie.