Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grassyfras, Nov 17, 2000.

1. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi i am 14 years old. I recently bought a new Exmark Metro WB 15 hp. I was wondering if any of you guys use velkies and if their good? What are the advanteges and disadvateges of them and can my mower be able to pull me up hills? Are these things dangerouse on unlevel terain?

Thanks for your help and i love lawnsite
  2. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

Try doing a search. That should turn up a lot of results for you. Some guys love em' and some hate em'. They definately make your legs less tired at the end of the day, but they do beat up your knees. They aren't the best on hills, they tend to want to "slide" down the hill.

3. grassyfras

Thanks I have done research on the internet and cat find aything. I also have looked for previous threads and they dont talk about any thing about how good they are.
    All the dealer tells me is the cost and you will mow faster but nothing about safty
  4. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

I have used single wheel velkes for yrs and i have no problem with them on level turf, i don't use them on steep hills, but i have very little hilly clients. If i were you i would purchase one, In the summer when its 97-plus in tempature youll be thankful you did. Marks Mowing Service
  5. CCSwanson

CCSwanson LawnSite Member

I have the two wheel velke which I like very well but once again it does not care for hills & it is hard on the knees but it beats walking all day
  6. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

Welcome to Lawnsite. Wow, 14 eh. Great to see the younger generation still has some go getters out there. By the time you get out of high school or college, you'll have one heck of a business and business experience.

Sulkies are a real time and leg saver. I have used a set of Jungle Wheels by Jungle Jim for the last four years on a Toro 44" with a 12.5 Kaw. The Jungle Wheels are a two wheel trailering type sulky with plenty of room on a flat surface for your feet. They make some now like the Bull Rider by Trimmer Trap that is a solid connection to the mower and has caster style wheels.

My mower has never had a real problem pulling me around. Very steep hills, once in a while you might need to get off and walk along beside to get up. Going down large hills, it is best to get off and walk along beside as the mower is a little harder to steer going down and harder to brake with the added weight. After a few trials you get the hang of it's limits rather quickly.

But, all and all, once you've had one, you always want it with you at least on the truck incase you want to use it on those big yards and you do not have a rider. I can mow a 1.25 acre property, that has a lot of trees and hills, faster with my 44" Toro and sulky than I can with a 52" Toro Zmaster ztr.

Hope this helps!

7. grassyfras

Thanks a lot Skookum thats the kid of information i needed to hear.
  8. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

9. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have one wheeled velkies on my turf tracers. It hink the velkies are great. They are easier on you and your employees. YOu can do more on those HOT days and do them faster. They don't work as good with belt driven wb, but if your 14 you probably not that big yet, so it shouldn't be a problem. The belts will slip in wet conditions, but the positives by far out way the negatives. With the extra weight your walk behind is carrying, I would only put a velkie on hydro's like I have, but like I said before it should work fine for you. Hills are a bit tricky, but like someone said earlier, you get the hang of it quick, especially if you are going down a hill out of control, you learn quick!! :)
  10. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a 48" metro this past spring and with that I put on a velkie(one wheeled). An absolute must if you are going to work somewhat long days. As far as slipping, I have never experienced that, I have mowed in the rain=very wet, and it has never even thought of slipping. I wouldn't hesitate one bit, invest the money now and enjoy the ride for a long time.