1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ChadsLawn, Aug 22, 2006.

1. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Has anyone made there own velky for there W/B's? Im going to try to make 1 this week, But would like some info on what you used.
  2. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

no-one has built a 1 wheel or a 2 wheel velkie for there w/b? Kinda strange.
    Anyways Im off to Home Depot to see what they have.
  3. subs1000w

subs1000w LawnSite Member

my belt drive exmark came with a X2 which would be a pain to duplicate but when i get a hydro im going to make one for it since it will be much simpler as there is no need for any pivot pionts except up down where it bolts to the mower just a 1x2 platform with swivle wheels on either side and 2 bars that conect it to each side of the mower and allow it to pivot up and down
  4. surgeon83

surgeon83 LawnSite Member

When I was first starting out I made one out of wood- it worked really well. I used hollow metal piping for the axle and two old wheels from the front of a snapper riding mower. I think this thing's still in my parents' shed; I'll see if I can get a picture when I'm there in December. It pivoted left to right, which was fine for my belt drive, but when I upgraded to the Ferris hydro, which had true zero turns, I had to get a bull-rider (the one with caster wheels) so that it wouldn't jack-knife when the mower was backing up on turns. Of course, I'm sure you could use caster wheels on your homemade version, but it will cost more.