1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Velocity deck!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TandM, May 24, 2008.

1. TandM

TandM LawnSite Senior Member
    from south

Well today I cut 4 different lawns. The first one I came too was a part time house and the sprinkler had just came on The st.augustine was 6inchs tall I cut it down to 3 1/2. It was so wet. I looked at the underside of the deck after I was through. I had about a quarter of an inch of build up on the very front of the deck! I went to the next yard and it was very thick too I was bagging it. 5 inches tall st.augustine. A few areas were not as thick. I looked under the deck and nothing! other than the build up by the spindle which was there from day one. it stays there. I went to the next one which was thin st.augustine and once again no build up. I then went to a new property which had new sod from like a month ago. It was like 7 inches tall! I was side discharging. The tiger cub ate this for breakfeast It was so smooth the first time so I didn't even have to double cut which I never have to It is always one pass and your through. I looked under the deck And NO BUILDUP!!!!! Sorry I just love this mower so much and recomend it to anyone who is looking in to a new mower.

2. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

I will agree with you on one thing, the cut is great. I demod several mowers and I have to say the cut on the Scag was probably the best. But having said that, I had to buy a Hustler because the ride on the Turf Tiger killed me. They are well built and machanies though. Demo as many as you can before you buy.

3. TandM

TandM LawnSite Senior Member
    from south

I already own it. I do not mow a whole lot of fields. Mainly just residentials so it is not to bouncy for me. I demoed a tt with a suspension seat and what a difference.

4. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I picked up my baby today. :)
    [​IMG]
    Thought I'd test her out some with the striper on the back.
    [​IMG]
    A few of the finished product after one pass! :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. ALC-GregH

from PA

That was at 3", the stripes are not as bold with a lower cut.... I'm going to go to 3 1/4 next cut and see how it looks, maybe even 3.5".... I'll take some more pics again to compare.

The seat is dialed. Much more then I thought. I do wish it would recline though. I'm a slouching kinda person. LOL

6. johnnybravo8802

johnnybravo8802 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Ga.

I just bought a TT 61" and it's mowing everything I do beautifully-fescue, bermuda, centipede, etc. I traded a new Triton and there's no comparison-the Triton was missing more than it was cutting. It was a 46" and didn't even do as good of a job on the small stuff-I was shocked, considering it was my third Exmark.:confused:

7. ALC-GregH

from PA

I measured the pitch on the deck. It's at 0 and I'd like to get it to 1/8 and try it. Question is, how do you change the pitch? The deck is level side to side, well, front to back for that matter but I'm looking at it wondering how to change just the pitch....
    I also checked the true cutting height and it was off by 1/4 inch. I can change and set that at the single rod on the foot pad.
    Anyone know how to chnge the pitch that could point it out for me? thanks

8. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

And people say the velocity deck don't cut as good as others. Yeah Right! Those pics are nice! That why I use Scag mowers. "Simply the Best" hands down. That second pic is priceless, awsome cut, awsome stripes, awsome mower. Finally some good pics of Scag quality.

9. ALC-GregH

from PA

thanks for the compliment. I have a few other good properties I cut
    that should yield some nice results. I'll post pics of them next week.
    I had to have my Scag hat on for the photo shoot. :) :cool2:

btw, I figured out the deck pitch adjustments. :clapping: I'll see if it's any better tomorrow.
    Or should I say, see if it "can get" any better tomorrow. :)

10. DillonsLawnCare

DillonsLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

i need a scag for all the thick grass i cut. that velocity deck is wide and open, to where it can discharge that stuff and have less build up. i wish my scag dealer was better..........im stuck with this ZTR..