1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Venco Dump Conversion Hoist or Dump Insert

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by tglasslawncare, Jan 5, 2011.

1. tglasslawncare

tglasslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

My father in-lawn is a retiring after 40 years of landscape installation. He is selling all of his equipment including dump trucks with the business. He just bought a 2011 GMC 2500 and wants to either convert the bed to a dump or buy a dump insert so he can still do some small jobs and work around the house. A salesmen was showing us the conversion hoist made by Venco. It appears to have the issue of stability worked out from the conversions I have seen in the past. Anyway, it is around $2800 for the conversion and a dump insert is around the same. I like the look of standard bed without an insert but I am thinking the insert would be a better choice to save the truck. Does anyone have experience or an opinion for what he should do? Thanks in advance.

2. becpropertymaint.

becpropertymaint. LawnSite Senior Member

just do an insert i have three of them and they work great your pickup bed isnot ment to be dumping loads out of it over time it will start to twist

3. doubleedge

doubleedge LawnSite Senior Member
    from ND

The dump bed conversion will have a higher payload capacity; those steel dump inserts weigh about 1000 lbs, while the dump kit only weighs a couple hundred pounds.

4. tglasslawncare

tglasslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

We looked at the truckcraft aluminum weighs 350. But steel is heavy good point.

5. becpropertymaint.

becpropertymaint. LawnSite Senior Member

my box weighs 748 pounds to be exact

6. doubleedge

doubleedge LawnSite Senior Member
    from ND

7. ELS LLC

ELS LLC LawnSite Member

Put a hoist on it. We sold our EZ DUMPERs, a great device but they take up so much room compared to a hoist kit or a flatbed. Just be really careful some of the hoist kits can alter the look and height of the box. I've seen a couple that just look goofy.