Vendors License

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by statman, Jan 8, 2007.

1. statman

statman LawnSite Senior Member

I had someone tell me I should get a vendors license. Does anyone else got one? If so, what are the benefits?
  2. wmsland

wmsland LawnSite Member
    from NE OHIO

If you are doing over $5,000 a year in business you are supposed to be collecting sales tax. You can't collect sales tax without a vendors license. Another reason is it shows suppliers that you are a legitimate business and allows you to purchase items that you are going to resell (mulch, soil,plants, etc) usually a discounted price and not have to pay sales tax on the items. In other words you should have one.
  3. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah, I think by law you need one if you want to be legit.

Here in WI, it's called a seller's permit, but I believe it's the same thing you're talking about. I think it costs me 35 bucks a year.
  4. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

A vendors license is a resale tax identification numer isued to you by the state in which you live. To get one you need to contact your states department of revenue and ask them for a business tax kit.
  5. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I tried to get one. I was applying online. Someone called me the next day and asked me some questions and said that I didn't need one.
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

It varies from state to state, judging by what you did and what they told you, you should be fine.

I don't have or need one, either.
    (thou if I were reselling the supplies, I would... ).