1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Vendors License

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by statman, Jan 8, 2007.

1. statman

statman LawnSite Senior Member

I had someone tell me I should get a vendors license. Does anyone else got one? If so, what are the benefits?

2. wmsland

wmsland LawnSite Member
    from NE OHIO

If you are doing over $5,000 a year in business you are supposed to be collecting sales tax. You can't collect sales tax without a vendors license. Another reason is it shows suppliers that you are a legitimate business and allows you to purchase items that you are going to resell (mulch, soil,plants, etc) usually a discounted price and not have to pay sales tax on the items. In other words you should have one.

3. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah, I think by law you need one if you want to be legit.

Here in WI, it's called a seller's permit, but I believe it's the same thing you're talking about. I think it costs me 35 bucks a year.

4. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

A vendors license is a resale tax identification numer isued to you by the state in which you live. To get one you need to contact your states department of revenue and ask them for a business tax kit.

5. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I tried to get one. I was applying online. Someone called me the next day and asked me some questions and said that I didn't need one.

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

It varies from state to state, judging by what you did and what they told you, you should be fine.

I don't have or need one, either.
    (thou if I were reselling the supplies, I would... ).