Veneer over wood retaining wall

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Ravenwood Landscaping, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Ravenwood Landscaping

Ravenwood Landscaping LawnSite Member

I'm currently looking at a job to put a stone veneer over a concrete retaining wall surrounding part of a patio. However, the homeowner also has a 2' high wood retaining wall on the other side of steps on the patio. Is it possible to put a veneer, possibly using some type of backerboard, over the wood or do you envision problems with water getting in through the wood and causing problems? I've just never encountered this type of setup before and I'm not sure what results to expect.

2. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

There was a thread on here 2 months ago about the same thing. The end result was that you wouldnt do it if you care about long term quality and your reputation.

3. Ravenwood Landscaping

Ravenwood Landscaping LawnSite Member

Yea I do. I'll search a little harder. I didn't find it before but if you think it's there, I'll check again. I didn't think it would work, but I thought I'd ask.

4. shovelracer

5. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

install a product like durock over the wood and you will be fine.....
    homes are veneered over osb all the time with no problems....

the other threat was referring to veneer over a railroad tie wall......

6. shovelracer

So is this one. "2' high wood retaining wall"

7. MRBsx2

MRBsx2 LawnSite Member

Are you kidding me? I can not believe this is even a question. You absolutly can not do this and expect it to last. First of all the wood wall is not on any footer. Any type of masonry product such as veneer stone is made to be on a solid footer where it can not move in frost heaves. Stone masonry is not constructed to shift like pavers, as soon as it shifts it cracks and then its done. Second the wood wall is going to allow all kinds of water through that will just freeze and crack the stone work...putting it on the concrete wall should be fine but not a wooden 6x6 retaining wall.

8. wurkn with amish

wurkn with amish LawnSite Senior Member

houses are also on a footer......
    SOOOO its not gonna move!
    wooden retaining wall... will MOVE.... therefore WILL CRACK!

9. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

Are you assuming that they built a wood retaining wall out of osb?

No you should not install veneers over wood retaining walls under any circumstance.

Have them pour a new wall then veneer that.