Veneer Time Request

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by YKClipper, Nov 17, 2009.

1. YKClipper

YKClipper LawnSite Member

I’m putting together a proposal involving veneering Environmental Stone to the front of a commercial building. Having read numerous posts over the years, I would not be foolish enough to throw myself to the wolves and request cost comparisons. :hammerhead: However, I would love to get a range of time estimates for the veneer work using the cultured stone.

Depending on the price, we may attach it to 3 areas. The front door area is the priority. It measures 16 foot high by 22 foot wide, surrounds the main entryway, and is about 150 square feet. The 2 other areas are rectangles on opposite sides of the building, 10 ½ foot high by 8 foot wide, totaling 170 square feet. So, 3 areas, totaling 320 square feet, portions needing to be done off scaffolding. This is not my first time veneering, but my first time using cultured stone.

Last fall I applied remnants of kitchen counter tops to the lower half of a split level home being built by the owner of a Kitchen Design Company. Due to the massive weight, we had to attach ¼ inch plywood to the OSB, prior to the vapor barrier, lathes, scratch coat, and granite, and we had to use spacers and rise only 4 or 5 feet at a time. Plus, we had decided to go with angular pieces, so everything had to be cut into right angles. Comparing installation of the granite countertops to installation of the cultured stone would be like comparing picking blueberries to picking potatoes.

Specifically: How many square feet of Cultured Ledgestone can be applied, working at ground level, by one person, in one day? Assume I mix my own mortar. Thanks for your help.:waving:

2. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

being you're not a veteran mason, there is no way you'll obtain production efficiencies that'll enable you to make a profit. It's all about skill level.

veneering is a skill, as well as an art. You'll have crazy inconsistant joints, and smearing.

Best thing to do is a few small jobs around your home or your great aunt Helen's home and get some practice.

3. wurkn with amish

wurkn with amish LawnSite Senior Member

Figure around( since your not experienced) 30-40ft2 a day. Unless the stones are large then figure a little more.

4. YKClipper

DVS Hardscaper – I wanted to practice on my Aunt Helen’s home, but she died a few years back when the retaining wall I built fell on her. :laugh:You predicted as much when I asked for help on a written guarantee. DVS Hardscaper – “Retaining walls are NOT to be taken lightly. You have to know what you're doing. As you won't be able to say "sorry frank and helen, you're warranty is up".”

Fortunately, I went ahead and built the wall any way. I’ll post a photo. It’s 100-foot long, with a 67-foot width, an 8-foot maximum exposed height, and a 2,000-foot patio on top. Six months after it was built, it withstood Spring floods on the river that reached 3 feet from the top of the wall, and the only evidence of the destructive power of the river were a few logs and debris deposited at it’s base.

As I said in my initial post, last year I veneered the lower half of a split level, using remnants from kitchen counter tops. I’m sure you are familiar with the density of granite. I’ll post some photos of that as well. I went back to look at my photos, and couldn’t find any, “crazy inconsistant joints, and smearing.” :confused: Do I sound like a newbie? I'm not going to turn out crap. I've done veneer work, but not cultured stone veneer; FYI, I’m 54 and have been in business since 1978 with a few mental health breaks and/or career diversions along the way. For the right price, I’ll post my bio.

Wurkn with Amish – thanks for your input. :waving::waving:I checked with the manufacturer and was told 60 – 80 sf/day. An extremely experienced mason friend of mine told me today he thinks the 2 of us and a tender can get the 150 square foot wall done in a day. That’s for laying the stone with the scratch coat. The pattern is a ledge stone that will require string lines. I’ll get the barrier, lathes, and scaffolding set up the day before. I may need to do a little tweaking and fussing the next day, or start on the 2 - 8 ½ by 10 ½ panels.

And . . . not only will I make a profit, but upon completion of this job, I expect to considerably increase my sales.

The first 4 photos are of the granite veneer I did last fall. Each piece is unique. The last photo is of the retaining wall. The photo does not do justice to the size of the wall because there is no scale. I thought about photo shopping some one to sit on the edge of the wall, but instead I think I'll just go back as now they have benches, and a large gazebo on the patio.

Cousins' Best_2.JPG

Cousins' Best_8.JPG

Cousins' Best_7.JPG

Cousins' Best_5.JPG

Murphy Best_004_640x480.JPG

5. greatinmulchbeds

greatinmulchbeds LawnSite Member

nice patio, its cool you kept the two trees at each end of the entrance. good natural shade in the hot summer!

6. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

nothin like a beautifull tree with soil filled 4-feet above it's crown.......

7. greatinmulchbeds

4 feet above its crown, how so?

8. YKClipper

Greatinmulchbeds – Thanks for the compliment.:waving: I spent 25 plus years in landscape construction and maintenance before I decided 4 years ago to change my focus to hardscapes. Of course the crown is not covered with 4 foot of soil.

Remember:

9. Ground Effects NH

Ground Effects NH LawnSite Senior Member

Nice clean looking work, are you going with any rails for the patio?
    Not a big fan of the material used on the house but the work looks spot on Thumbs Up

10. greatinmulchbeds

yeah I was going to ask about rails....I can see havin a few beers and taking the plunge