1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Vent in enclosed trailer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Joel B., Jun 28, 2002.

1. Joel B.

Joel B. LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

How important is it to have a roof vent in an enclosed trailer?

Also, what are the safety issues with hauling gasoline in an enclosed trailer?

Thanks for the advice,

Joel B.
  2. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

3. ADMowing

ADMowing LawnSite Member
    from Florida

We have an enclosed trailer with a vent and it was only $75 extra. It was worth it. The trailer does get gas fumes in it from starting the mowers up to unload them. This is more the issue than having the cans of gas on a shelf in the back.

As far as hauling the gas, we think that it is safer than having them in the back of our truck ballooning up with gas fumes because they are sitting out in the sun.

Don't know the OSHA or other regs on it. This is just how we see it. We think it is safer and vent is important. There are a lot of regs with OSHA about being in an enclosed area (us) with any type of fumes. I'm not sure how they apply here, but we have noticed a difference with the vent open and with it closed.

Just remember to close it before it rains!!! We haven't forgotten yet.

Hope this helps.
  4. lawnstudent

lawnstudent LawnSite Senior Member

I prefer two side vents to one roof mounted vent. I mounted one vent forward (facing the truck) and one vent at the back to the trailer (facing away from the truck). Also, one vent is mounted near the floor and the other vent is mounted near the roof. This way I force air to flow through trailer when moving and get convection air flow (hot air rises and escapes through upper vent, cooler air enters lower vent) when at rest. Good luck!