Venting a bit

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by paul, Mar 20, 2002.

1. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Here's something I don't understand, 20 acre site, needs to be laser fine graded, then seeded, 400 lbs per acre 50% bluegrass and 50% pren rye with a brillion seeder 2 ways, THEN hydro mulched with 1500 lbs wood much with 60 days maintance ..................

A guy here bid it at $800.00 per acre??????

My cost just fof the material was $850???

And it's a prevailing wage job, tractor operators get $35.26 per hr.

2. PAPS

PAPS LawnSite Senior Member

sounds to me like this guy has no f-ing clue what the hell he is doing...
    and or , is getting materials for dirt cheap, or knows some one handing the materials out... and is not gonna apply proper amounts of what the code requires...

3. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

I wonder how long it takes for a lousy job to be noticed and for him to be taken off the list of acceptable bidders. There is no way he can do the job right for that number. Wonder if he even knows what a laser grader is.

4. diginahole

diginahole LawnSite Member

Did that guy get the job? sounds like a tough learning experience for both parties if he did. Three if he is bonded.

5. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

Wow. This year I've upped our prices such that we don't touch a 1/4 acre residential seeding for less than $1900.

They spec'd laser grading? Good thing you bought one!

6. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

I'll know later this week if he got the job, but he was the low bidder.

7. PAPS

PAPS LawnSite Senior Member

I've seen companies NOT get bids because there bid were so out of wack with the other bids excepted....

8. SCL

SCL LawnSite Senior Member

I just went to a bid opening in our area for a city street project. Didn't bid cause of the time frame, but was curious. I had the specs and ran the numbers for giggles. There were two bidders and when they opened, one was right in the architects estimate ballpark, the other was almost 40% less, low bidder is one of the big dogs in our area and should know this stuff in and out. My price would have been real close to the other guy. Makes you wonder sometimes, but for that kind of money, they can have it. From what I've seen the cost of materials to hydroseed are in the $ .015 - .02 a foot, then try to pay the labor and the cost of a machine that large for 20 acres. I think the customer needs to crunch the numbers and do an audit. Nice thing about it, if he doesn't meet PW he's done for 5 years, I think:rolleyes:

9. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

Hey, look for the silver lining.....

Find out who the company is, and keep tabs on them. Odds are you'll be able to pick up their eqpt dirt cheap pretty soon.

10. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

It's probably all junk!