1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Venting fuel cap for Makita?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by cariboulou, Oct 11, 2010.

1. cariboulou

cariboulou LawnSite Member

I got a makita line trimmer that runs and starts ok, but fuel shoots out vent hole in gas cap. I took gas cap apart to check on gaskets and venting system. It seems to be just a piece of cut up air filter material - foam type. When i took apart a stihl gas cap if had a hard "ceramic" type of filter in there. where can I find a replacement fuel cap for this machine? Its a Makita RBC 251. Im hoping i can just use a generic venting fuel cap and the threads will match up.

BTW it takes about 8 -10 pulls to get it to pop, but Im assuming the lack of pressure in fuel tank is to blame for this.
  2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

3. GlynnC

GlynnC LawnSite Senior Member

I think your assumption is incorrect--it should be able to start with or without a gas cap'
  4. cariboulou

the trimmer runs after i finally get it started but the main concern is the fuel shooting out the vent hole in the fuel cap!! where can i get a replacement cap or packing material??
  5. cariboulou

ok saw the link and see where to get a cap, will try locally first. i just got the trimmer so i didint get a chance to mess with carb. would unit run if the fuel and return lines were crossed?? I guess i can try to see if that improves starting unit.