1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Venting leaf box??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Shuter, Oct 30, 2003.

1. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

Looking for ideas for venting a leaf box, that is easy to install and works well. Thanks

2. Boycea

Boycea LawnSite Senior Member

What is your current leaf box constructed of? If it is metal you can easily weld in a piece of expanded metal with a 1/4 inch grating. That is what I'm using and it seems to work fine so far. If it is wood you could use the tarps that everyone else uses.

Adam

3. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

My box is 13.5' in length. I am thinking of tacking down a mesh tarp with 2" slats of wood completely around the top border of the box and round the edges.

MATT

4. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

The box is mounted on a dump trailer and is made out of plywood. I was thinking of using a apinters tarp for a section of the top.

5. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

Try a mesh wire. Just tack it down with a staple gun, or put wood around it.

I had a roll of it, not sure what it's called. Like 1/4'' holes.

6. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

thats what I used, believe its for doing cement work, like to put texured paint on a basement wall. You can get it at HD.

7. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Last spring I used a mesh tarp used for covering trees while transporting them. It worked well other than being too short and leaking around the top where there was not a good seal.

MATT

8. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: i use soffit vents cut in every 2 feet along the top edge of the roof on both sides works very well. my leaves fall out in a 12" tightly packed block. tony

9. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

10. Rich's Lawn Care

Rich's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

mesh tarp like this

my pictures.jpg