venting time (LONG)

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Southern Pride Lawn, Jul 24, 2005.

1. Southern Pride Lawn

Southern Pride Lawn LawnSite Member

i did a hand weeding job last week for a guy that had a stint put in his heart 3 weeks ago. he wanted me to weed all his beds. i don't do that at all. but i did it for him anyway, (my mom had a stint so i know what you can and cant do) so i do the job on Monday and weed around the house and all 3 of 4 beds. the 4th bed was full of fire ants. i call leave a message and tell what i did and did not do and why for the guy. the wife calls me on Tuesday at 11am and says she just got back from key-west, & her hubby is in NY with his dieing sister and to come buy at 3pm she'll give me a check i say OK. then she calls me back at 1pm and say i did not do all the weeding and i tell her what i said on the machine. she does not care that i am allergic to fire-ants and tell me to come on Sunday to deal with the hubby. so today i show up offer to finish the job after he treats treats the ants. but hubby is all rude and a total pita. refuse's to pay me what I'm due. he does not care that I'm allergic to fire-ants. he says i did not not just fall off the banana boat no one is allergic to fire-ants, that bull. he gave me $20 and said i don't want to ever see you again, and I'm telling the whole block your a ripoff (and i just just signed 2 lady's 3 weeks before i did his job to on that block.they start on 8/1/05) if he makes me lose those I'm going to sue his retired NY fire fighter Butt! THIS IS Y I NEVER DO WORK FOR ANYONE THAT'S RETIRED FROM NY! but this time i did not ask on the phone. i have always had probs with NY retirees

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, I understand this problem is why today I *NEVER* pull weeds by hand. I use round-up and soon as they even mention pulling weeds by hand (not like them asking HOW I do it, but they act like that's how I'm GOING to do it), it's sayonara time.

Don't feel bad, I just had some deals with 3 pitas and lost 70 dollars but ... I didn't get into it with them because it never does any good, instead I act like oh everything is cool ok and yeah sure and smile real nice so I could get out of there and then I cross all 3 of them off my schedule. And crossing them off my schedule while they're thinking I'm coming back to take care of their pita problem was well worth every penny of the 70 dollars they never paid and never will pay, even if I go take care of the problem (or they give me a lousy $20 - they are scammers and thieves).

Here's the trick:
    - NEVER let on you're really mad at the pita, NEVER argue with them and NEVER try to explain like something show up that wasn't there? Well, I ain't doing ANY of it until we get this resolved... sux when you're 1/2 way through.
    - Explain to them one time how you do things and if they be like 'NO but I want you to do it this other way' then you say 'ok sure' and be nice and do NOT be sarcastic or rude, just make them believe you're cool with it, then get out of there and cross them off your schedule.
    - Do that or tell them no sorry, but sometimes no sorry don't work, some them mufuggas will not let me go when I say no, I am not lieing so then it is best to say ok fine whatever so I can get out of there.
    - Then, do NOT answer the phone for about a month, lol. cause scanning the caller-ID don't work, some pitas KNOW and will call from another number (ain't that some chit, call you from another # KNOWING you're scanning the machine... wtf they think they get through to me I'm going to be f'n thrilled or what?)

But you see, now THEY have a problem because you never let on that anything was wrong, so they're figuring the problem is taken care of. Little do they know they're not on the schedule and the longer it takes, the worse the problem gets so when they finally figure it out, they get to call someone with an OMG-size problem.

Yes, I been down that road a few times ...

3. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

i also just lost money. i had a friend i did yard work for when i was not busy. he was was sick for a year. 65yr, 500lb's & had diabetes, also he needed to use a o2 tank. So 3 weeks ago he died from a heart attack. 3 days after his girlfriend told me his son Jr was coming down in 2.5 weeks to settle up with me. well Jr got her Friday and called me, i went over and he said he has no idea what deal his father made with me, and also he was told i was paid before the heart attack. so I'm out $468.00 and he just signed papers to give the house to the next door nabor. it use to be his grandmother home 20yrs ago. so i cant even put a lien on it.

4. Scapegoat

Scapegoat LawnSite Member

I feel your pain brother.

With one time jobs like that, I make the Yanks come up with 50% before I start and 50% due on completion. And they always must sign a contract.

If they don't, walk away. They are trouble.

5. Southern Pride Lawn

Southern Pride Lawn LawnSite Member

got a sample one time contract?

6. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Thats a good way to have to chase 50%. I personally go with 100% up front on anything, but people from the great state of NY are the reason I went to charging in advance.

7. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I just love the way you handle your customer problems topsites.Smile, agree,make them think your cool with it and coming back to continue your oral obligation with them.....then never showing up again and ignoring their calls.
    Not good business and not good advice to others on how to handle a customer problem.
    If your so immature as to use these methods,your reputation will speak for itself.

8. topsites

some the guys who been doing lawncare in my area (va) for longer than me charge all in advance as well BUT I will tell you this can be dangerous because it is hard for me to go do the work when I've already been paid...

9. topsites

Sorry, I forgot to mention I was not talking about 98% of the customers out there who play by the rules, but specifically I was referring to that one out of 100 or whatever who is intent on making life miserable. And sooner or later you will run into that one will make you WISH you had done the same thing. Because you can explain the rules all you want to with these ppls, and you can explain and argue and talk until you're blue in the face, and nothing will change and it doesn't do any good.
    Again, this isn't Mr. Come-and-cut my grass on a schedule and I will pay you, that is not who I was referring to.

10. Scapegoat

Scapegoat LawnSite Member

Fortunately, I haven't had a problem collecting as of yet with my 50% down and signed contract. I've had Yanks refuse to sign a contract, and I just say no thanks and move on.

You're right though, it's normally just the ones from NY that are the main problem customers.