Verizon dug up my yard!!!

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by MrC, May 12, 2007.

1. MrC

MrC LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

They were here for two days laying the new FIOS cable and dug trenches in my lawn. They put the lawn back but it looks like crap. There is a 1-3" inch perimeter of dirt from where they dug up the lawn. It also looks like I have little mounds on my lawn. I was planning on putting my second application of Dimension down next week but now with my lawn looking the way it does, I don't know what to do. Any suggestions? How often do I need to water those areas?
    Thanks!!!

2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Call them up and complain. Same thing happened to my lawn a few years back and they did one half ass job putting things back together. Called them up and complained and they were out two days later to grade it out and put down fresh sod that isnt dead like the crap they gave us initially.

3. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I doubt it was your yard.

It was an easement wasn't it?

4. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

My thoughts exactly... but I guess it could have been on your actual property. It just seems to me that they were probably out fairly near the street.

5. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

If its an easement then your SOL.

I've done utility work, and I really have no sympathy for the uptight HOA type people.

If you don't like, it, go rake it out when the work is done. They owe you nothing.

6. Turf Troll

Turf Troll LawnSite Member

No they just come thru developments putting the line down, you have to call to get some one to come back out. Usually they have someone following a month later with topsoil and seed, but if you don't take care of it it doesn't grow.

7. MrC

MrC LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

It is an easement and I don't really have a problem with the guys. They were very nice and apologetic when they cut my cable line. They did a crappy job laying the grass back but I'm willing to fix it. They said they were going to come around and seed but I'm not sure when. I would rather be done with it and fix it myself. I was just concerned because I wanted to do my second app of Dimension next week, but laying seed now will be a waste of time. I was thinking of just covering the area when I put down the Dimension and then seed the spot.

Any thoughts on how much I have to water it?

8. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Correct me if I am wrong, easment or not they have to put it back as it was originally or close anyways.

9. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

An easment gives them the right to enter upon your property to perform maintenance to their equipment. That does include installing new lines. It doesnot give them the right to destroy your property. And Easment does not give them title to the property, you still own it and pay taxes on it. I Know from personal experience with Verizon that if you push the issue, they will fix the problem. I also know from experience with verizon and the local sheriffs department, that I can impound their trucks and equipment and they cant do a darn thing about it but work with me to an agreeable solution. They didnt get their truck back until a crew showed up to fix my lawn.