vermeer and ditch witch

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by JB926, Jan 18, 2008.

1. JB926

JB926 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Vermeer LM-42 or Ditch Witch 410 SX. We pull all our pipe and occasionally will trench the main. I use a 255sx with 800 hrs now. I def kick a@s with her but always want more weight and more power. I will keep the 255 as a back up and want to know every ones opinion about the above machines. Who uses them and whats your thoughts. and I have both dealers in my area
  2. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Personal preference I would stay with Ditch Witch, but not a single thing against Vermeer.
  3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

What engine on the 410SX? The Vermeer is probably still the heaviest.
  4. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

The 410sx used to run a petit-lister engine, now I think it runs a kobuta.

They are rock solid machines.
  5. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

For big machines I used to have a 410 and a Berkeen 410 is an easy machine to operate and will pull right thru the woods if you have to. Never saw a situation where it struggled.
  6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Ditch Witch now offers the 420sx
  7. IMT Underground

IMT Underground LawnSite Member

They will all pull better, faster and more economically using the Edge plow blade. The serrated cutting edge on the blades cuts through roots like you have never seen before.
  8. eagle irrigation

eagle irrigation LawnSite Member

I rented both before I decided on the 410. But it could have really either way, they are both great machines tons more power than the 255 and not as jumpy. Demo them both before you decide and go for all the options. Flat-proof foam tires and boring attchment well worth the money.
  9. writon

writon LawnSite Member

I ran the Vermeer for eight years burying cable in the rural areas of Kansas City, MO. I put those machines threw alot, sometimes burying up to 3,500' drops threw wooded hills and rocky creeks. We also had to stem bore highways up to 60' and had to be 30" deep at the bottom of the ditch.

I started with the LM35, then the LM40, and for the last three years used the LM42. The machines kept getting better. I took them threw everything and they rarely let me down and were tough as hell.

As for the ditch witch i have installed a few systems with one and done alot of trenching with them. Right now we just have a 255sx for systems. For it's size it does a great job.

My picks!
    Trenching....Ditch Witch, this was a close one.
    Plowing....Vermeer, you just can't stop the Cadillac of plows.
    Overall (for systems)....Ditch Witch, the tire option for traction,stability,and for tighter areas make it a better choice for systems and i think it's cheaper.
  10. Vermeer

Vermeer Inactive
    from Iowa

Of course this answer will seem bias coming from a Vermeer guy..... Demonstrate head to head in tough conditions and make your decision based on that. Depending on where your at in NJ there is a dealer in Lumberton and another positioned in the north. PM me if you need more info.