1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Vermeer LM 11 - Anyone have experience with this plow?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by ddthomas2, Aug 11, 2005.

1. ddthomas2

ddthomas2 LawnSite Member

I might have an opportunity to pick up an LM11 with about 100-200 hours for about $6500. Has anyone used this machine? What is your opinion. I know that many of you are recommending a larger machine, but I really feel that in my market if I can pull 1" - 1.5" up to 200' I will be in really good shape.

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

You need to go larger.

A machine that size means your going to be spinning your tracks all the time.

I have a Ditchwitch VP12 ( a little bigger than the LM 11), and a DitchWitch 410 (same size as the Vermeer LM 42)...It is night and day between the two.

Vermeer makes good (albeit pricy) plows, For your first plow, I'd look into picking up a Ditchwitch 255sx or a 410.

Our 410 was 17k with 500 hours on it.

I see DW 255sx's go on e-bay for under $6k all the time.
  3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

$6K for eleven horsepower is way too much. Keep looking. If you're going to pull inch-and-a-half, you want at least twenty horses doing it.

Does that VP-12 have the 25HP Onan engine?
  4. Dirty Water

It came with a 20 horse Onan in the '80s, was replaced with another 20 horse onan in the mid '90s, and I put a 25 horse Honda on it last year.

The honda engine is a much better performer and parts are cheaper and easy to get.

Of course, I'm lucky if I put 1 hour on it a month now with the 410.
  5. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

Jon, is that a 24 or 25 HP honda? The Onan you replaced was cast opposed two cylinder? I still haven't put a motor on that mini. The honda looks like a good option (spell that lesser evil price wise). What did you have to do for retro fit? And we are talking the 1 7/16" shaft, right?
  6. Dirty Water

Whoops, it was a 24 horse. I can't remember what shaft size I bought, I measured the original onan's and bought the honda model with the same size so I wouldn't have to have a new pulley made.

This is similar to the one on the VP12, I paid just over $1k shipped for mine from these guys, they had a deal going on.

The onan was the opposed two cylinder. To retrofitting the honda motor needed it to be raised about 3 inches for proper pulley alignment (used a welded flange with spacers), as well as some custom pipe work to relocate the muffler out of the way of the boom.
  7. Dirty Water

8. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Good find! Especially with a trailer, that makes it all easier. I bet it will top $5K, but if it isn't too beat up, it will pay for itself soon enough.