Vermeer S600tx

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by NC_Irrigator, Jan 1, 2006.

1. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

I know theyre relatively new but was wondering if anyone has one or seen one on the job.

Anyone on here like what these mini skid steers can do? Any down sides? IVe been rolling with a vermeer walk behind trencher for 6 years. Its time to update.

Im looking into buying something like this for trenching, backfilling, boring.

I got a quote from the Raleigh NC vermeer dealer 23,600 for the diesel model
    and additional quotes for the attachments, trencher, boring unit etc..

any thoughts?
  2. Flatbed

Flatbed LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

I currently have a LM42, that I have been more than happy with. I talked with my Vermeer salesman about a month ago, and he said when the weather breaks in Iowa he would like to bring a mini skid to try out. We are going to do two house side by side,(one with the lm42 and the other with the mini skid) to see how much time saving and labor it can save. Also talked about using an auger attachment to drill the holes for the heads and valve boxes first with the mini skid. I will post a thread after we try it out. You could probaly talk to your Vermeer salesman, he would probaly do the same for you.
  3. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

yeh, ive got a demo set up for this week, using the trencher attachment
  4. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

I've also been looking into the mini-skid option. They seem like the way to go if you're looking for lots of attachments and are not moving an incredible amount of material in a short period of time. Would like to get one this year.
  5. Rainman7

Rainman7 LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Your LM42 will pull circles around the Vermeer or any other mini-skid. Drilling holes for heads and valve boxes? Fence posts and trees are what augers are for. How deep do you install your heads? IMO the attachments for these are way overpriced as well as the machine. Look around, you will find many used ones for sale. Most popular is the Toro. Try it for yourself. I found it very awkward using a skid steer for most attachments.
  6. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

you must not have used them much ......

they are not overpriced at all....
    they are awesome machines that once u own you cannot see how you did without them...
  7. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

If you work in rock and clay, the heavyweight lawn plows beat compact skid-steers.

Anyone use a 410sx with the backhoe attachment? It looked like it could be useful for larger valve boxes in rough conditions.
  8. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

A local utility Co here has one, I talked to them, and they much prefer their Cat 302.5 if they need to do any backhoe work. Says its hard to use and underpowered.
  9. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

These guys will open up some holes when you're dealing with rocky soil. First they blast and then they burrow. :)

Attached Files:

10. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic