Vermicompost on lawns

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by DA Quality Lawn & YS, Aug 15, 2013.

1. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Does anyone out there apply worm castings to lawns as a light Topdress? Results?

What nutrient value does worm castings add to turf when applied? Similar to mil organite? In summary, how does turfgrass utilize the worm castings? Is it just for nutrient value, or other benefits? Any good articles out there showing benefit of vermicompost on lawns?

2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

It is more valuable coming out of the worms than out of a bag... the stuff is way to expensive to put on lawns...

3. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

4. DA Quality Lawn & YS

You probably stock this granulated product Barry?
    Can it be applied by spreader or do you need a topdresser?
    Price? (feel free to PM)

Thx

5. Smallaxe

It is agreed that vermipost is good for gardens and working it into the soil,,, but all those benefits discussed in these websites will never happen in the soil when pelletized and broadcast on top of the grass... perhaps the aeration will help it along,,, but still that stuff is at the end of its decomp and nutrient release so microbes would have limited opportunity to use it for soil building as compared to compost...

Remember how the earthworms are invaders that are destroying the North American Forests??? Here's a little tidbit from the Ohio Article:
    "*Dr. Edwards will be traveling to London in June 2009 to present an invited lecture, 'Understanding Earthworms: indicators of soil quality and guidelines for remediation' at the Linnean Society Conference on "Trees, Roots, Fungi, Soil (Part 2): Towards a model of good soil practice for arboriculture"

I guess earthworms are beneficial after all... :)

6. phasthound

It's always best to aerate when adding any kind of biological topdressing. But keep in mind that earthworms deposit their castings on the soil surface. It's also true that a great deal of the decomposition of organic matter begins at the soil surface.

The side by side studies I've seen show that vermicompost provides better results than compost. Granted most of these studies are with food crops, not turf.

7. DA Quality Lawn & YS

If I were to use a granulated vermicompost on a lawn I plan to renovate with a slice seeder, would slicing 1/8 deep be enough for incorporation of the product? Or would aerating be better?

8. phasthound

Slice seeding is fine, aeration has additional benefits.

Think of it this way; worms deposit their castings on top of the soil. As they continue to decompose, the nutrients are released into the soil in plant available form. The soluble humates release certain acids and enzymes which will increase germination and resistance to all kinds of stresses.

9. Smallaxe

All worms go to the surface to poop???

10. phasthound

That's not what I said. There are no absolutes.