Versa Lok Mosaic Wall Product

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Captains Landscape, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Captains Landscape

Captains Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I enjoyed using this block, the versa lifter tool is a huge bonus at only $40.

jeff1.jpg

Versa-Lifter.jpg

2. McKeeLand

McKeeLand LawnSite Senior Member

looks good. wish i new about that back when we did 425sf of the "square foot" wall earlier this season. i pulled a muscle in my elbow that still hurts lifting those 80lbs+ block.

3. Hokie84

Hokie84 LawnSite Member

The versa lifter is a great tool, especially for the base course. I don't do much versa lok, but I own 2 lifters. I wish other manufactures had simular systems.

4. ChampionLS

ChampionLS LawnSite Bronze Member

I've had those puppies for 10 years. They work great. For those of you who want an edge on wall blocks, buy the slab grabber from Probst! it works GREAT on that dam solid wall block. Like Techo. You won't wear your finger tips off

5. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

I just used there system for first time at my new home small wall and 6 steps coming out of basement even did the pedistal method. My ? is building the wall vertical did you have trouble with the pins lining up to hold it vertical with out any batter? I did on mine, any tips.
    Mike

6. orionkf

orionkf LawnSite Member

Only experienced w/ the standard units, (original post looks good BTW) but my suggestions:

1. Don't go vertical (my preference).

2. Glue it (hopefully until you catch the alignment, cut if necessary?).

3. Drill it (same as above.).

I like V-L, but I avoid vertical walls like the plague, even small stuff, but I have done the freestanding version and no more than minimal problems, sometimes it might help to do the 1st and second courses together to ensure alignment for future courses. HTH.

7. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah we did a Versa-Lok Mosaic wall in the spring and that Versalifter is a lifesaver. One in each hand and it goes quick. I'll try to get some pics up once I can find my camera.

Mike,
    What Versa-Lok product are you using? The standards or the mosaic?

8. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

i used the standard 1 time only at my new home. I have 2 walls 3' high with steps. I wanted to try there system and a good place to experiment my house. i used all gravel for back fill .
    mike

9. Captains Landscape

Captains Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

Mike: Yeah that was a pain. It's easier when only using the standard block. For a vertical wall make sure you run the wall exactly on half bond so the holes in the back of the block will accept the pins. We put a half pin in the holes on the base blocks so the next pin wont fall through. Ive been told by my supplier that if you curve the wall you need to drill. The only thing I cant make easier is removing the debris from those damn slots! the best thing we have found is to cut some filter fabric and lay it over the blocks when you backfill with gravel. Any better suggestions?

10. orionkf

orionkf LawnSite Member

Put rope in the slots, backfill, sweep/blow, then pull rope. Rope just slightly bigger than the slot works best I think.