1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Versa-Lok Sqaure foot

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by McKeeLand, Apr 27, 2007.

1. McKeeLand

McKeeLand LawnSite Senior Member

Does anyone on here have any experience with Vers-Lok square foot. This is the first time we have used it and found that the groove on the pin system get filled with stone from back filling the core and drain column. it took forever with a screw driver on the first course to remove all of the stones out of the groove. on the second course i took a 3/8" air line and pushed it into the groove to keep the stones out, but this is a pain in the a$$. Just wondering if anyone has a better way of doing this. seems like a dumb system to me, maybe thats why it so much cheaper?
  2. forestfireguy

forestfireguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

I haven't used this block yet but just finished specing a job with it. Was it really that bad? If so I'll save the headaches and sell them a different block. We just finished a 65 x 3 versa lok standard unit wall, job went like clockwork, demoed old wet laid wall with a thumbed Cat 305 and had the new wall in except cap in 2 days with 2 men, we are still short labor and a driver, so about 2/3 of one day it was a one man crew. The guys really impressed me on that job.
  3. McKeeLand

i think the pin system works good on all of their other walls because they are solid block. they need to rethink it on the square foot though.
  4. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

I took a versa lok class in pittsburgh in feb and actually got certified. Funny thing they didnt mention your issue. I have never used a pin system yet, but as far as cheaper there block is smaller than i use and buying the pins im not sure. Some things about them such as building steps look pretty good. Do you have the new estimating software? If not i have it give me your deminsions and i will see how close it is.
  5. McKeeLand

I don't have the exact dimensions in front of me. it is 138' x 3' at the highest and 20" at the lowest.
  6. daveyo

daveyo LawnSite Senior Member
    from N.J.

Jason is that your excuse for not having that wall done yet? Oh yea the homeowner called they mailed the rest of the down payment to jose, oops :waving:
  7. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

Look at this, it says the following if the wall was 138x3
    Standard block:
    621 exposed
    104 embeded
    Total 725 block
    120 caps
    1242 pins
    10 tubes of adhesive
    5.11 cubic yards of leveling pad material
    10.22 cubic yards of drainage aggregate
    How did it work for reality? I sure disagree with the stone seems a little short.
  8. McKeeLand

i have like 432 block, the wall has several drops, only about 80 feet is at 36". the drainage stone does seem way off. do they include the core fill as well? i have like 30tons figured, but that is based off stonewall select's figures. i used 10 tons on the leveling pad. the caps look close though, lol.

hey dave, that's ok i'm sure he won't be able to get a ride to the bank to cash it.:laugh:
  9. ChampionLS

ChampionLS LawnSite Bronze Member

I hope your not putting drainage aggregate behind your base course.. that should be solid fill, QP etc. Cover your blocks with geotextile or backfill by hand. I've used Versa-lok many times. It's a pretty easy system to use, looks good and you make your own corners if needed. I'm not crazy about their new tumbling system, since is uses a chain flail to beat the face. Doesn't look as natural.
  10. McKeeLand

I am talking about filling the cores, you can't cover the block with geo when you do that. that is what is the pain and the @$$, by hand or machine the stones still get into the pin groove. it would not be an issue on their other wall because they are solid and don't need core fill. for right now the air hose laid in the groove works, just a unnecessary step on most other wall systems.
    I am not crazy about their chain whipped face, but i like that they offer a weathered look on all of their walls even the square foot. i have not seen that on any of the other big wall out there. ep henry said they are going to make a chiseled version of the diamond pro but it is not even available yet.