1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Versa Lok wall question

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by hollywood, Jul 5, 2009.

1. hollywood

hollywood LawnSite Member

I am installing a raised patio using Versa Lok standard units. The wall is 2 courses high with cap. The dealer where I bought the block said most guys glue the courses instead of pins. I have installed VL before and always pinned. Would it be ok to glue if the wall is only 2 courses high? I know every type of wall needs drainage, but at just under 16" of total height could I backfill directly behind the wall with crusher run instead of #57 thus keeping my entire backfill area crusher run?
  2. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

You could do it either way, pinned or glued. Glue the caps though. Gluing courses can be a PITA, especially when you get too much on the block and it squeezes out.

How much are you embedding?

Use clean stone as backfill- always. You run the risk of pushing the wall out if you get too close with the compactor as well.

Next comment is you might want to look into some dealer/manufacturer sponsored classes if you haven't already.... You can get a lot of questions answered there.
  3. hollywood

Thanks D Felix. One course is embedded, with one course and cap exposed. I attended a VL seminar several years ago and they didn't cover raised patios much. Mostly walls, stairs, and columns were covered. They recommended pins wherever possible. I will go ahead and use clean stone behind the wall. This is my first raised patio using VL. I have used VL for walls and steps before. This patio is only going to be approximately 10" above grade. I wasn't sure how necessary clean stone was behind the block on a wall this low, especially with pavers on top.

I know from your other posts that you work with VL often so I appreciate your input. The dealer in my area has great product readily available, but aren't much help with the technical end.
  4. Paver Gangster

Paver Gangster LawnSite Member

I guess my answer would depends on how long the wall is, if its a shorter wall and the dealer will break a box of pins, is there that much of a cost savings?
  5. hollywood

The wall is 35' in length and I would have to buy pins in intervals of 100. Not sure about the cost savings, but gluing would probably be faster in this particular case.
  6. Bru75

Bru75 LawnSite Senior Member

They make you BUY the pins???
    My supplier gives me more than I could possibly need every time included in the block price.
    I've got tons of these things laying around.
  7. hollywood

They do make you buy the pins separately. They are about 25 cents a piece. I want to say that they are sold in bags of 100 with 5 bags per box. At least that is how I bought them last time.
  8. Bru75

Bru75 LawnSite Senior Member

Jeez 'o flip! That's $25.00 a bag! I really need to put my extras on e-bay.
  9. hollywood

You should. I would have bought them. :)
  10. DeereHauler

DeereHauler LawnSite Senior Member

my most recent wall i bought pins for .20 a piece.

i paid about $5.20 a block for the versa lok standard unit, what are you guys paying in other areas?