versatility in the equipment we use

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cleanlawn, Aug 9, 2005.

1. cleanlawn

cleanlawn LawnSite Member

There's versatility being built into the riding units that we use, (i.e.Grasshopper and Walker), and with the split boom string trimmers. My question is, what do you of that kind of versatility in a walk behind?

2. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

well, you could MAKE your walkbehind versitile, but if you have a grasshopper, and a walker, what more kinds of versitality do you want?

I could see fabbing up a blower using the drive belt, and mounting it inbetwen the front castors, but it would be a pain to do, unless, you had a deck belt, and a pto to a master spindle setup (much like my walkbehind)

you could probably put a dethatcher on there pretty easily, but I don't think an aerator would work.

you could make an edger (like grasshopper has) and bolt it to your deck for edging, but with better visability, you might as well use an edger if your walking though.

you can make most machines just about a versitile as you want, you just need to decide if it is worth it to you in $$$ and in time.

3. cleanlawn

I was using grasshopper and walker as an example. What I have done is convert my walk behind. Now I can take the mower deck off and hook on to a snow thrower ( all I've got at the moment), in just over one minute. I'm wondering why versatility is not being offered to us in the walk behinds. OH, what kind of walk behind do you have with a pto?

4. TClawn

I don't have one driven with a pto. It uses belts just like any othe mower, but the center spindle has a double pulley on it, so there is one belt fron the clutch on the top, and the deck belt it on the bottom pulley. what you could do, is slip deck pulley off, and put another belt on there to run a blower, etc.
    mine is a quick 36.

what kind of mower do you have?

I wish they made a walkbehind with a pto driven deck.

5. cleanlawn

This is a John Deere, the first commercial unit that I bought. Since then I've gone to a Grasshopper front mount, and I've kept the deere as a back up, but I never use it. I took the deck off and fabricated a quick hitch. With this one I turned it from belt drive to pto drive. I looked for something that had some versatility in it but I couldn't find one, so I made one. Now I'm wondering why it's not available to us on the dealership floor.

6. TClawn

I've done many modifications to my mowers, but not as big as mounting a snow blower (like I need it lol) but would you mind posting some pics, I'd love to see how you did it.

7. cleanlawn

Not sure how to load a pic into here. Never done that before.

8. cleanlawn

This is what I've got so far.

9. cleanlawn

That didn't work, the file is too big trying to make it smaller

10. TClawn

you have a digital camera? and you know how to get it on your computor?

after that, it is simple. all you do, is 1. make sure that your pics are 800x600 or less. 2. got and press teh post reply button, then type in your message, and scroll down to the button that says "manage attachments" , click on it, and a small window will come up, click on the "browse" button, and find the pic in your computor click on it, and the location should show up in the bar on the left of the browse button. when you have it in there, press upload, then close the window, and post your reply.