Vertical Cutting done anymore?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Wayne Offiler, Nov 15, 2001.

1. Wayne Offiler

Wayne Offiler LawnSite Member

Came across a "Verti-cut" (made by West Point Products) at a consignment shop. Looks old. 3 1/2 hp B&S engine on it, but could not find numbers to get the date. Rugged machine, runs fine. Much like a dethatcher, but has spinning blades. They wanted only $75 for it, so I bought it. Not sure if it will be of any use to me. These things still used? What for?
  2. Dochere

Dochere LawnSite Member

Yes, they are still used. They do a few different things, we use them to cut grass roots. By doing this, it helps stimulate new growth. We go over the lawn in one direction, then back over it in the opposite direction. (horizontal and vertical) Some also aid in dethatching.
  3. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

4. TGCummings

TGCummings LawnSite Senior Member

It sure answered some of mine!

Thanks, Kris. ;)
  5. osc

osc LawnSite Senior Member

Verticutting is mostly used for putting greens. Dethatching is probably a better choice for lawns.

I have verticut reels for a Toro Greensmaster 3100. We rarely use them.
  6. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

I couldn't help but notice that everyone posting here about veri-cutting was from cool season turf country. Therefore I will add my .02

Veri-cutting is warm season turfs dethatching. Warm season turf grows by producing runners. when these runner grow to thick they must be thinned. Veri cutting could be done with a edger if you ran it ever 2" and set it to only touch the soil. The blades of a verticutter are just like an edger only they are on a long spindle and set every 2-3" apart depending on the turf. Also depending on the thickness of the turf is whether you cut in one or two directions. I have a 11hp Ryan Mataway vericutter that is self propelled. I use a Walker GHS to bag the thatch which can fill two pick ups from a 5-6/M yard.
  7. Vertislice. verit cut, slit seed all in the same machine.
  8. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

IMHO I dont think that a flail type reel that beats the ground does better than a standard reel that slices thru the surface roots.

Jut my .02