1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

vertical engine or horizontal

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gren25, Jul 9, 2004.

1. gren25

gren25 LawnSite Member
    from nc

which engine do ya'll think will give less trouble. the vertical engine is on a JD 717 19 hp kaw. thanks
  2. gren25

gren25 LawnSite Member
    from nc

what I mean is about the crankshaft is 1 better than the other
  3. Steve1

Steve1 LawnSite Senior Member

I have had some trouble with vertical shaft engines in the past but they were Briggs motors (industrials and Inteks). However, if you look around, there are tens of thousands of vertical shaft mowers, tractors and ZTR's in service, many with thousands of hours on them.

A vertical shaft ZTR does not need a mule drive setup to transfer power to the deck. But a horizontal shaft motor seems to have less oil-related problems according to some.

My personal opinion is that I favor horizontal shaft engines but that is strictly my opinion. I looked long and hard at two very fine vertical shaft ZTR's - the Gravely PM260Z and the Hustler Super Z. In the end, I didn't buy either one but it wasn't because of the type of motor they had - it had more to do with how the Deere dealer has treated me in the past and how they cut on my grass - and I was being very, very picky. Either of the two I am sure would last for a VERY long time, regardless of how their engine sits in its mounts.

Bottom line is that I think most will tell you there really isn't much difference when you come right down to it unless you want liquid cooling. All the L/C motors I've seen are horizontal shafts due to the fan/radiator setup.

Demo and see what YOU like. :D
  4. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

My impression is that the direction of the shaft is determined by the design of the mower. I'm not sure you have a choice.